First 50 miles on the Thruxton

atomsplitter

Living Legend
Ride
17 T-120 Black, 20 Bobber Black, 98 Trophy 1200
Had an opportunity to ride with son-in-law Tom yesterday and so took my latest acquisition, a 2016 Thruxton R. Things I noticed were: front brakes are noisy sounding like brake pads are down to the squeeler plates (new pads arriving today), there is only one mirror on the left bar end and it's small, making it difficult to check traffic behind (new bar end mirrors arriving this afternoon). The clutch pull is super light (me likeey very much). The power in ROAD mode is excellent, in SPORT mode it's addicting. The Tamarit seat is a bit thin but OK. The bike feels really small and wasp thin in the middle. It absolutely begs to be tossed around in the corners. The suspension needs some dialing in for my lard butt but is very compliant and doesn't get unsettled easily (altho I pushed the edge of the envelope on some of the gnarly tarmac on secondary roads). Over all I'll enjoy using this for short rides on weekends in the summer months as there is no wind protection at all, and in the summer in Texas you want as much air blowing over your body as you can get.

1681650906964.png

UPDATE: The brake pads were some metallic iteration and the pads were starting to lose chunks. The EBC's I put in their place are the sintered compound style and I'll see how they feel in the next few days. The new mirrors are here and putting them on today, next up inspection and registration (gotta get legal) this afternoon.

She looks fast. Is this the new Rocket replacement? I bet it's fun but not sure how the old back would endure that riding position.
If you remind yourself to sit up and not be Quasimoto it's pretty comfortable. Too much forward lean puts weight on my wrists that becomes uncomfortable after a few miles. Which then makes me sit more upright, taking the weight off and pain subsides rapidly. So far my back hasn't been a factor. I was concerned the seat to peg distance would make my knees revolt but that turned out to be just fine. I don't feel wadded up but it's definately more of a tuck position hips to feet. The biggest thing I notice is not much motorcycle in front of me. When moving I can see the gauges and that's about it. This morning I rode down to Eurosport in Ft. Worth to replace the odd little mirror on the left bar with a pair of mirrors that I can actaully see and use. That turned my wallet inside out but now I can see traffic behind me, so worth every nickel. The mirrors I received from Amazon didn't fit, the friction rings were either too big or too small. Glad I didn't pay too much for those.

As to replacing my Rocket, that was actually replaced with this: (Took this out Sunday for a ride with Tom, real hoot to ride as well)
1681847628006.jpeg

Back