Throttle sticking Idle probem.

It's the TPS. I would have high idle and while trying to maintain highway speed it would run rough and yes hitting the kill switch would correct it for a minute or two. When I took it to the dealer there were two other Rockets with the same problem and the TPS fixed them.

Primary TPS

Sure enough, my problem was corrected with the installation of a new TPS. The service manager mentioned, without me asking, that I was getting the revised version of the TPS. I asked about this repair being done under warranty, and when he said "no" I asked him to call Triumph and verify that. I watched him make the call, talk to somebody at the other end of the line, and the answer was still no. But I was so happy to have the bike running perfectly again that I didn't complain.

As Hellfire has said, my ignition switch has been my greatest source of all kinds of bizarre problems. The first time I removed the factory original ignition switch, I changed to the usual alternate location - the plastic panel to the rear of the FI system. Though I had purchased a new key switch, I decided to install a simple 50 Amp toggle switch instead of the key switch. This initially worked out fine and made all my electrical problems go away, but over the course of the long, hot summer, the toggle switch failed. Due to the location of the switch, it was a simple 10 minute job to replace it with another $5.00 switch just like it so that's what I did. During peak summer heat, this switch lasted only about a week and then literally melted internally. This confirmed that the rear of the engine is not a good place to position the ignition switch, due to the heat build up.

Finally I bought a black plastic rocker-type toggle switch, rated at 30 amps, and installed this as my ignition switch on the yoke in front of the fuel tank. Since then, I've ridden about 9,000 trouble free miles with the engine running perfectly and I couldn't be more happy with the bike.

I wanted to thank everyone here for all the advice and assistance, which helped me keep my sanity.

My 09 classic has started with this same fault, about 4 weeks ago the idle speed would drop of & the bike would stall, In to the dealer & they did a good job fixing it by adjusting the voltage to the stepper motor, after about 2 weeks I've been plagued by high idle speed 2000rpm after warm up. Been back in dealers on another 2 occasions but not fixed. Ride out today was Fxxxing miserable in lousy whether & heavy traffic riding was plain dangerous, how do you deal with it on bendy bits when youv'e throttled back & it keeps driving you into the bend too fast & all you can do is brake or ride the clutch,-both of which is a sure way to loose it especially with wet roads & in my case a worn out front tyre (which will be replaced tomorrow). I'm really pissed off with it now & I want my Rocket back as it was, still have warranty until September, hope it's fixed before then.

My 09 classic has started with this same fault, about 4 weeks ago the idle speed would drop of & the bike would stall, In to the dealer & they did a good job fixing it by adjusting the voltage to the stepper motor, after about 2 weeks I've been plagued by high idle speed 2000rpm after warm up. Been back in dealers on another 2 occasions but not fixed. Ride out today was Fxxxing miserable in lousy whether & heavy traffic riding was plain dangerous, how do you deal with it on bendy bits when you've throttled back & it keeps driving you into the bend too fast & all you can do is brake or ride the clutch,-both of which is a sure way to loose it especially with wet roads & in my case a worn out front tire (which will be replaced tomorrow). I'm really pissed off with it now & I want my Rocket back as it was, still have warranty until September, hope it's fixed before then.
Has the ignition switch been checked or replaced? I had an intermittent high idle that was undiagnosable until the whole thing failed. Typically more often it's something to do with the TPS, but for me it was the ignition switch. Something about the failing solder joints causing increased resistance and sending incorrect readings to the ECM. I've read a lot of stories about ignition switches failing, but so far I'm the only one I know that had idle problems as a result (among many other weird symptoms).

I noticed back when my tps failed, I could hit the kill switch and then fire her back up and it would reset the idle for a while.

Called in at dealer today, bike racing at 2500rpm, service manager was on bike park when I arrived & immediately came over when he heard the bike. Having a look over it he kneels down & puts his fingers up behind the bearclaw & the engine revs die off to 850. Turns out to be a sticking stepper motor, been a lot better since but not perfect, at least I have an answer to the problem when it happens. Bike going in next week all signal data being collected & sent to Triumph who will apparently analyse it & give an answer. Well we shall see what happens.

tell them that you want the tps changed. It's also a good idea to spray some WD on the throttle linkages every once in a while especially if you are an all weather rider.

bike racing at 2500rpm, service manager was on bike park when I arrived & immediately came over when he heard the bike. Having a look over it he kneels down & puts his fingers up behind the bearclaw & the engine revs die off to 850. Turns out to be a sticking stepper motor, been a lot better since but not perfect, at least I have an answer to the problem when it happens.

Doesn't the TPS control the stepper motor? Again, it has been hashed and rehashed here..... most likely a new improved TPS fixes the problem.

I would hope that his 09 Classic would already have the new part number tps with the blue innards. Doesn't mean that it wouldn't fail but alot less likely than our older part numbers.

Dealer fitted new stepper motor about 6 weeks ago & all was well until 3 days ago, - it's all started again, sending me crazy, back to dealer I suppose, could it be a glitch in the ECU mapping, maybe a remap would at least set that aside as an easy & free test. Dealer seems reluctant to try new TPS, it is the new type but if it does control the stepper motor then I think it worth trying, any views out there I've got to get this fixed or go completely bonkers.:mad:

Back