Throttle sticking Idle probem.

RocketIIIman

Standard Bore
I have a 2007 Rocket III .

A periodic sticking problem has become a frequent issue. The rpm will not return to idle, and stays at 2000 or 2500 rpm when throttle is closed.

I have tried making adjustments , problem has got progressvely worse.

Any one else had this issue?

This sounds very much like the primary throttle position sensor (TPS). You need to take it to your dealer and have them calibrate it, or replace it and calibrate it.

Some owners over on the .com site have had luck with adjusting the idle screw. Raising it, and the lowering it down to around 850 RPM. I've never tried this, just passing that info on. I don't believe Triumph recommends this method, but several have had good success with it.

Having the same problem

I have a 2007 Rocket III with jardine pipes and PCIII.

Have the same issue once it warms up. Shutting the bike off and restarting resets it to normal for a few minutes. Going to check with the dealer at Pensacola, D&D Cycles, He is a lot better mech that others I have dealt with.

I have a 07 RIII classic with 17500 miles. I was having a similar issue where my bike would stay around 1500 to 1800 rpm when I l closed the throttle. It would take around 30 secs. to return to normal idle. The spring that returns the primary throttle plates back to home position was gummed up with I don't know what. I could feel at the throttle grip that something wasn't returning correctly. It is actually where the primary throttle stepper motor linkage hooks to the primary throttle plates is where it was gummed up. I used a little wd-40 and worked it in to where there was free movement in the linkage. On the .com site i read a thread where they said NEVER touch or adjust the idle screw. When you get everything out of the way you will see a little screw with yellow paint on it. Don't move or adjust it. After fixing that problem , I found that my throttle cable needed adjusted also. A good time to do that. Service manual page no. 11.117
Any questions pm me. Hope this helps.

Markc

The knowledgable tech at Baxter's (Gus) told me to be careful no dirt collected bretwwn the stop tab and the TPS itself. He told me it was very sensitive and dirt or road crap will cause a high idle condition.

I tend to get a high idle when the fuel is low...a good reminder to fill up.

I've got an '07 an mine started doing it this week.
never before and only when it wants to.
Most of the time its great, but about once or twice a day it'll pull that high idle crap, just to tick me off I think.

I has been happening to me too. I was going to reset the TPS voltage and see if that helped. I'll also try cleaning the return spring too. Thanks Markc.

I was having the exact same problem. It was fine some times and out of control at others. Out of the blue when pulling up to a stop light it would occasionaly idle above 2k rpm, it was really pissing me off.
In my case it was because I went around and "tuned" everything to fit my preferences (shifter height, clutch throw, throttle play etc.) as soon as I got it home when new. Turned out that the computer takes a TPS reading whenever it feels the need, I understand from the tech at D&L that it does it while OFF too, hanging a helmet on the throttle will screw up the TPS values and throw off the idle as well according to him.
I solved the problem by just returning the throttle cable play to the sloppy way it was when I took delivery (I hate having a sloppy throttle). This seems to have allowed the throttle bodies to fully close regardless of the weather or tension on the cables and gives the computer accurate TPS measurements. I also got in the habit of giving the throttle a twist while the gauges are sweeping prior to starting it. I know this is against every rule in the book for fuel injection but for some reason unknown to me (and the know-it-all tech) the idle comes out perfect (if not just a hair low) every time.
I know the excess throttle cable play is annoying but if you tweeked it at all, give it a try and let me know how you make out.

Last edited:
I have a 2006 Standard with 19,500 miles. I starts up and idles fine, and always has. But recently I've noticed that when cruising for awhile at highway speeds the engine won't idle down upon releasing the throttle. In other words, I can take my hand off the throttle but the engine keeps on running at the same speed. When doing this, the engine runs smoothly and will accellerate fine - it simply won't return to idle speed upon releasing the throttle.

I've learned that switching the engine off - then back on again after a few seconds, while the bike continues in motion, will correct the problem - at least temporarily, for a few minutes or a few miles.

Less often, after cruising a low speeds at perhaps 2,000 RPM continuously for awhile, the engine will begin running very rough, misfiring as though running out of gas. Again, I've learned that switching the engine off and then back on again will clear up the rough running and it will return to running smoothly.

About 2 months ago, I had my R3 at the dealer's service department for unrelated problems. At that time they installed a new tune which they said Triumph recommended to improve engine idle, though I was not having any idle problems up until then. What this new tune did do was eliminate the "paint can rattle" my bike was experiencing.

I have cleaned my crank angle sensor and found 1 or 2 metal shavings stuck on it, but my idle problems have not improved.

Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated.

Back