Throttle sticking Idle probem.

My '09 standard started having problems at 10k miles. After running a few miles the idle would not drop below about 1800rpm, usually more like 2200. Always fine at initial startup.
My dealer ordered and replaced the TPS (throttle position sensor) within about 10 days, all warranty work.
In the shop about 90 minutes while I waited.

They tried an adjustment, that seem to work for other bikes, but for me it only lasted about 150 miles.

I have a 2006 Standard with 19,500 miles. I starts up and idles fine, and always has. But recently I've noticed that when cruising for awhile at highway speeds the engine won't idle down upon releasing the throttle. In other words, I can take my hand off the throttle but the engine keeps on running at the same speed. When doing this, the engine runs smoothly and will accellerate fine - it simply won't return to idle speed upon releasing the throttle.

I've learned that switching the engine off - then back on again after a few seconds, while the bike continues in motion, will correct the problem - at least temporarily, for a few minutes or a few miles.

Less often, after cruising a low speeds at perhaps 2,000 RPM continuously for awhile, the engine will begin running very rough, misfiring as though running out of gas. Again, I've learned that switching the engine off and then back on again will clear up the rough running and it will return to running smoothly.

About 2 months ago, I had my R3 at the dealer's service department for unrelated problems. At that time they installed a new tune which they said Triumph recommended to improve engine idle, though I was not having any idle problems up until then. What this new tune did do was eliminate the "paint can rattle" my bike was experiencing.

I have cleaned my crank angle sensor and found 1 or 2 metal shavings stuck on it, but my idle problems have not improved.

Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated.

Did you ever get this problem sorted, Gene? My '06 Std is doing the exact same thing with the high idle and rough running.

..sounds like the classic symptoms of a bad TPS..mine started the intermittent high idle (2,00 rpm) and occasional surging..I only put up with it for about two rides..ordered a new one through the dealer..put it on and adjusted it with tuneboy..if ya don't have tuneboy, better let the dealer do it..I didn't wanna take mine up to phila, so they wouldn't warranty it..mine is an 06..$140 delivered..make sure ya get the new improved version..with the blue innards..

This is for sure the bad TPS problem. Triumph have at last sorted the problem and
now there's a improved TPS (with blue internals) that hopefully will be better.
Regardless of age of the bike, Triumph is standing behind the problem. NO CHARGE for new TPS or any labor costs for replacement. Everything's on Triumph.

This is for sure the bad TPS problem. Triumph have at last sorted the problem and
now there's a improved TPS (with blue internals) that hopefully will be better.
Regardless of age of the bike, Triumph is standing behind the problem. NO CHARGE for new TPS or any labor costs for replacement. Everything's on Triumph.
Got any idea when they started using the blue on production models?

When the new TPS is used on production line at factory, I don't know.
I have read about this new TPS late 2009. Guessing, late -09 should have this.

The old TPS had part number T1245003
The new one is T1245113

Attachments

• tps.jpg
    tps.jpg
    12.2 KB · Views: 163
..no, but I think it's something they just came out with this year, maybe last..I wish now I woulda rode my bike down to L&D in Dover or up to Manayunk Triumph in Phila and let them change it out and foot the bill..oh well, all is good for now..and like I say, if ya don't have tuneboy, I don't know how you would set it yourself anyway..

Yes, need Tuneboy to set it correctly. Or the the Triumph service tool.
I got my new TPS sent directly to my home. Got it within 3 days,
have to say I am impressed about the service this time, free and fast.......

Hi gang

My 07 rocket suffered the same, idle all over the place sometimes stalling sometimes holding onto the revs.
New TPs all done and dusted runs like a dream:):):)

Chesterfield triumph no charge done in a hour great service:)

Loftyjohn

All of the problems I listed in the post on page one continued to reoccure. Nothing was ever solved until Triumph replaced the defective ignition switch.
After that, I never had anything happen again ... everything has operated perfectly ever since.

Back