The search is over

wjb

Nitrous
Ride
2008 Rocket III Touring
I am now the owner of a 2008 Rocket 3 Touring.
I do not know a lot about it's history because the guy I bought it from knew next to nothing about it however, it came with a folder full of receipts and other documents so I should be able to learn more about it as I go through it.
I do know that it was originally sold in North Carolina and since I live in California it is a coast to coast bike.
I traveled 100 miles to get this one and on the ride home it turned over 29K miles. It has D and D exhaust fitted to it with baffles intact otherwise the exhaust is stock and not too loud, it still has all the stock intake plumbing.
I have a couple of concerns, first, the trans. It's difficult to find neutral but very easy to find all sorts of false neutrals! In fact it will jump out of any gear (except 5th) into a false neutral by it's self, usually when decelerating. Not all the time mind you but enough to be very frustrating. Does this sound like something that can be fixed without major tear down?
Next is the power, it's impressive but not as powerful as I was expecting. It's not scary fast. I'm hoping it's just that the tune is stock or close to stock and that a more aggressive tune will wake it up.
It is very stable and smooth on the highway. Overall I'm happy with it mostly because I got a good deal on it and it came with a lot of extras.
I gave it a good cleaning yesterday and boy, does it have a lot of chrome items on it to polish up! Everywhere I look there is some chrome dodad to pay attention to.

Welcome to the forum. Trouble finding neutral is usually just a minor clutch adjustment from the top to fix. Jumping out of gear sounds like a big problem. 29K miles isn't much, but with a heal toe shifter you never know how it was used. I've seen people stomp heel shifters like they were trying to kick start the bike. As for power, a good tune will wake her up.

Welcome aboard. I am sure it will be diagnosed before the day is over as we have many experienced and expert riders and mechanics to assist.

Once it is sorted, I am sure I have some more Doodads for you that you did not know would fill that hole you were not even aware of yet! ;):D

Welcome, the R3T is tuned down as far as power. This is easily fixed with a proper tune. Power will jump about 30 hp.

From there it becomes a sickness.

Plenum system is very restrictive. I upgraded to ramair. I like it. Pods are a good choice also. I got great delight in ripping out all that plastic.

Sounds like you have a decent exhaust.

warp and idk are spot on with the transmission. Detent spring, proper adjustment, and oil can make a big difference.

Touring is a great bike.

Back