The saga continues . . .

Txclassic

.040 Over
Dealer called yesterday to let me know my transmission was fixed and my bike was ready. (See the many threads about catastrophic transmission failure and others). Triumph shipped the wrong second gear in the upgrade kit. Wrong gear had 8 dogs. Proper gear had 4.

They needed to mount my new highway bars, so I agreed to pick it up today.

Service manager test drove it about 30 miles through many shifts and said everything is working perfect.

This time, the bike was as clean and shiny as when I turned it in 2 months ago for the second repair attempt.

Dealer was having an open house and I needed to move the bike. Several people had gathered around my bike and were more than willing to listen to my saga from the last 5 months. Word had begun to spread and my bike's history at the dealer had become infamous.

I decided to let the bike idle and warm up to make sure everything was good to go. Once the thermostat opened up, steam started coming off the radiator. This is normal after washing the bike, but this time it lasted a lot longer.

I investigated further and coolant was dripping out of the left side cowling. My blood begins to boil. The technician comes over and says there was a pinhole in the coolant overflow tubing to the tank. Not true. I see coolant leaking from the center of the radiator and realize I'm not going home today on my bike.

I had already laid the groundwork that if anything more happened on my bike, there was going to be a buy-back. This was the last straw. We shall see, once (if) I ever get it back again for more than 30 mintues before the next FUBAR.

As I waited for them to wheel it back to its assigned "permanent" parking spot in the shop, I decided to check out the Rocket III touring models on the showroom.

A few minutes later, the service manager approaches me and says he is going to set me up with a loaner. The radiator repairs are expected to last about one week.

They wheel out a black 2008 with the short windshield and I get a 1-week test drive out of the deal. As the salesperson is affixing the dealer tag, the owner walks up and wants to know why one of his showroom bikes is getting loaned out. The salesperson just kind of gives the owner an "I'll explain later" look.

I do appreciate the effort the service manager took to patch up a VERY pissed off customer in front of a dealer open house. I guess that's the trick. I didn't go out of my way to spread the word. Folks came up to me and knew I was the one that waited for 5 months for the transmission repair and just had another kick in the ****** with the radiator leak.

Anyway, I'll post another thread on my first impressions of the touring model versus my classic.

Suffice to say, my patience has run out. Time for a lawyer.

My I ask who your dealer is (was)? Change your name to Job(the bible dude).:)Sorry to hear you've had so much crap with this deal.

Blatant dealers' stupidity

why does the blood in me boil ? Because I know the arrogance of the dealers for which TxClassic speaks of. the episode that Paul just suffered was bad enough, and now we have witness to this sort of incompetent garbage. :mad:

Please do state the dealer........ I would avoid them if I know to do so.:mad:

greg

Last edited:
Suffice to say, my patience has run out. Time for a lawyer.

Time for a lawyer, indeed. There ought to be a "lemon law" in your State and you have a hell of a case to put forward: Hidden manufacturing defect and non-respect of warranty obligations, for sure. A good (as in "mean") lawyer could also sue Triumph and/or the dealer for safety hazard (as resulting, even potentially, from trans failures) and economic damage (e.g. all the costs you have incurred during the period, including those associated with whichever other vehicle you've been "forced" to use in the meantime, and... your eventual legal expenses).

With best wishes. Jamie

Looks like Texas' Lemon Law does cover motorcycles:

4 unsuccessful repairs when 2 occur within shorter of 1 year or 12,000 miles and other 2 occur within shorter of 1 year or 12,000 miles immediately following second repair attempt, or 2 unsuccessful repairs of a serious safety defect when 1 occurred within shorter of 1 year or 12,000 miles and other occurred within shorter of 1 year or 12,000 miles immediately following first repair, or 30 calendar days out of service within shorter of 2 years or 24,000 miles and at least 2 attempts were made within shorter of 1 year or 12,000 miles.​

Make more calls to Triumph US also.

Time for a lawyer, indeed. There ought to be a "lemon law" in your State and you have a hell of a case to put forward:

Jamie,
I don't know about the laws in Texas, but in both NC and FL, the 'lemon laws' do not apply to "recreation vehicles" which motorcycles are legally classified.

Regretfuly,I do not believe that he would have any legal recourse. I am not a lawyer so my adivce is free.

See Pig9r's to-the-point "texican", legal perspective... And, "recreational" applications or not, TXclassic's story (which he has documented) is one of a blatant breach of contractual (yes!) warranty obligations on the dealer's part. That alone, from my days in the US of A (working for an OEM product support service, amongst other missions), should be worth seeking legal recourse.

And to seek it RIGHT NOW, lest the "other side" should plead TXclassic's tacit consent.

Jamie:cool:

Sounds to me like it's time to park it in downtown 'Obamaland' when you do get it back...with the keys in the ignition and a 'take me please' taped to the handlebars.....

Then a quick call to your insurance carrier......

Here is an interesting twist on a problem that happens when the vehicle you buy depreciates so much the first year that if you trade it in, you lose your ass....

Until the insurance companies got wise, snowmobile owners were 'hoseclamping' their sleds at season's end and collecting the insurance money...

Hoseclamping is simply putting a section of inner tube over the handgrip, pinning the throttle lever against the handgrip. You do that, stand aside the sled and pull the recoil or hit the starter button. The sled takes off down the trail at WOT...goes a ways, veers off the trail and hit something, a tree, post, boulder, whatever and destroy's itself and you collect the insurance. Hell of a system.

Back