Beware the E10 Demon

I live in a fishing tourism area, so all the local stations sell ethanol free premium, marine gas. 2 of my BMWs require 89 octane minimum, so since I'm already paying a premium price for 89, they usually get the ethanol free high test, but for the Rocket, after all these years, it seemed silly to switch now.

I don't know how many of you follow ProjectFarm but I appreciate this guys practical tests resulting in some interesting incites. He performs a test on E85, E10 and straight gas both with and without fuel stabilizer. He shows the amount of corrosion that takes place on aluminum along with some subjective tests on fuel hose and other carb components. The results are eye opening. For you fellows that think fuel stabilizers work in preventing corrosion.... they don't work as well as the adds state. He then shows how the stale gas refuses to light... Practical information that should force you to reconsider the fuel you're purchasing especially if you need to store your fuel for a period of time.

Good video with lot of info there 👍
In my case it wasn't so much about corrosion but more about the way the E10 had affected the rubber components. When I collected my Rocket from the workshop the mechanic showed me all of the bits that he replaced. The internal fuel hoses had ballooned to twice their size and O rings had crumbled. This meant that although the fuel pump was running ok it was just pushing the fuel back into the tank so there was insufficient fuel pressure at the injectors.
After paying a hefty invoice for the repair I am now back in action - only V-power for me from now on. :thumbsup:

I don't have a choice here in the land of fruits and morons. Ethanol in everything. I have used Seafoam and other stabilizers religiously in all of my vehicles, lawn mowers, leaf blowers (gas powered lawn mowers and leaf blowers are no longer sold in California) and I have had good results. It gets pricy although it seems like it saves me in the long run. :thumbsup:

I don't have a choice here in the land of fruits and morons. Ethanol in everything. I have used Seafoam and other stabilizers religiously in all of my vehicles, lawn mowers, leaf blowers (gas powered lawn mowers and leaf blowers are no longer sold in California) and I have had good results. It gets pricy although it seems like it saves me in the long run. :thumbsup:
That's sad. Sunoco offers racing gas in 5 gal cans of any flavor you need at our local station. But at about $10 gallon I'll pass. I used to go to the local airport and buy a drum of leaded aviation gas to run in my '67 Firebird when it had the 12.5-1 compression pistons. It was clear gasoline at the time. But I think it is now dyed.
Fuel Selector - Sunoco Race Fuels

112 octane - blue
supreme.png

117 octane- light red
SUN-Pail-Cyclone17-copy.png

100 octane unleaded not dyed street legal
SS-100.png

Hoses in fuel tanks need changing. Pin holes and leaks can be hard to notice, 35psi that drops continuously is sometimes hard to notice unless you have a pressure gauge hooked up and testing, all the ones ive seem 07 08 needed changing

Back