THE REBIRTH OF NUMBER 74

The service manual gives you one way to perform a task but it often isn't the only way and sometimes isn't the best way. I remember when I worked in a GM dealership (we were on 'flat rate' for most warranty work) one of the tradesmen took it upon himself to show a district service manager for GM "another way" to perform a warranty task which cut the time required to perform the job by half. He thought he was so smart until the DSM had the flat rate labour GM paid out, changed for that particular job (we used to get credited 1 hour for a job that took half that). That particular mechanic wasn't very popular for some time....
Yep ya open your mouth in production like that and a time study is comming. When I built Tomcats there was plenty of time standards that were to short and some you could make and bank time so you had something for the problem ones.

The service manual gives you one way to perform a task but it often isn't the only way and sometimes isn't the best way. I remember when I worked in a GM dealership (we were on 'flat rate' for most warranty work) one of the tradesmen took it upon himself to show a district service manager for GM "another way" to perform a warranty task which cut the time required to perform the job by half. He thought he was so smart until the DSM had the flat rate labour GM paid out, changed for that particular job (we used to get credited 1 hour for a job that took half that). That particular mechanic wasn't very popular for some time....
isn't that how Bupont motors ran the shop?

I think all the dealerships here tried "flat rate" for a period of time but it was hard to beat especially on an older vehicle that had seen a number of Northern Ontario's winter salted roads. GM flat rate was hard to beat on a new vehicle let alone one with rusted fasteners.

Last seen July 5th.

Attachments

• Screenshot_20210717-080025_Firefox.jpg
    Screenshot_20210717-080025_Firefox.jpg
    108.6 KB · Views: 23
I guess after his last rant at Mexican, he had enough. Great guy when he can control his anger, hopefully he will return one day to show off his rebuilt X

Back