The most accurate Fuel Gauge you will ever find ...

If all have a little patience - I´ve already contacted Dave and asked about a "tap" free plug and play version for R3´s. He´s replied and is looking at it. My thanks to Ken for helping me with a diagram to make Daves life easier.

If all have a little patience - I´ve already contacted Dave and asked about a "tap" free plug and play version for R3´s. He´s replied and is looking at it. My thanks to Ken for helping me with a diagram to make Daves life easier.
Sadly seems he may not be able to. But I have ordered one anyway.

Maybe I'm showing my age on this one but the absolute best fuel gauge I have ever used is when I fill up, I reset the odometer to zero. If I'm on the Bonnie and don't get gas by 120 miles, then I am pushing. If I am on the beast and don't get gas by 180 miles, then I am pushing. Those numbers never seem to fail and it is a pretty cheap method too...:D

Most respectfully & I mean that sincerely, an odometer cannot ever be a good indication of fuel - or range - left.
It is a good generalization to use consistently to say 'better get gas NOW' which is great if you are close to gas stations; how about when you are on a trip, not sure if your average over that 120 (or 180) was 40 or maybe closer to 35 if you'd been 'on it'? And how much gas is REALLY left and can you make it to that next station that is 25 miles away?
That is why we have fuel gauges in our 4 wheel boxes rather than just an odometer :D
Honestly a low level light (assuming it works & often they don't!!!) is a better warning than odometer because at least it does not care what consumption was prior to that point.

The Fuelbot is great because it gives you exact range on what you have left at whatever your CURRENT consumption rate is - & with the instantaneous mpg reading you can ride at the precise speed which yields the best efficiency to get you to the next stop when you are tight spot

Most respectfully & I mean that sincerely, an odometer cannot ever be a good indication of fuel - or range - left.
It is a good generalization to use consistently to say 'better get gas NOW' which is great if you are close to gas stations; how about when you are on a trip, not sure if your average over that 120 (or 180) was 40 or maybe closer to 35 if you'd been 'on it'? And how much gas is REALLY left and can you make it to that next station that is 25 miles away?
That is why we have fuel gauges in our 4 wheel boxes rather than just an odometer :D
Honestly a low level light (assuming it works & often they don't!!!) is a better warning than odometer because at least it does not care what consumption was prior to that point.

The Fuelbot is great because it gives you exact range on what you have left at whatever your CURRENT consumption rate is - & with the instantaneous mpg reading you can ride at the precise speed which yields the best efficiency to get you to the next stop when you are tight spot

Although you make a very good point about fuel consumption to how we ride our bikes, I disagree with your assumptions.

First of all (and once again I am showing my age on this) but using the odometer and not relying on some form of electronic gadgetry forces a rider to "dial" into his bike. If you don't learn your riding and how it relates to your motor, then guess what...you WILL learn the hard way by pushing that bike to a gas station!!:eek::D:eek::D I got one of these free lesson when I got to push my little Bonnie 9 miles to the next petrol station when riding into Birmingham, UK once.

So the rider has to learn how sync into his bike and the affects that has. That also makes the rider tune into every little tick, pop, whiz and hum that motor makes...some are noises you always want to hear and some you NEVER want to hear. It is this reason why the only music I listen to when I ride is my motor. I just recently added my rocket to the garage but I have had my Bonnie for quite a few years now and that bike has been around the world with me. I've toured the UK on it where all I was on was winding mountain roads of Wales and Scotland to wide open throttle riding on the autobahn to gorgeous coast riding in Japan and trust me...my throttle hand hardly kept it within the legal limits of the speed range:D And I did all of this by clocking my odometer to gas stations which was even more of a challenge in northern Japan as gas stations could be far and few in-between...unlike any other place I have seen.

So to each their own but I do disagree that latest forms of all kinds of electronic gadgetry will make you dial into your bike better. I've seen a good portion of the world on my Trumpet and reading the odometer that is provided off the factory line works just fine for me...

Ok - we get it, you don't need it/want it
So perhaps you can just respect us mere mortals who think it has value.

No worries mate.

We would ALL do well to remember the ice cold filter that is the internet, and give everyone the benefit of doubt, and a good bit beyond.

Usually I use the ODO method. And frankly normally I fill up when it suits me rather than when I have "X" in the tank or have done "Y" miles.

BUT:- Believe me - If you "one day" decide to cruise along (constant speed) at 3750rpms instead of 3200rpms - you WILL discover that the ODO method fails and DRAMATICALLY on R3's.
Roadster owners have a fuel gauge - those of us with older beasts have a light.

From 30mpgUS to 23mpg US. That is a good 20-25% thirstier for about 500rpms more. R3's don't just get a bit thirstier - the go from moderate to absolute fuel-leeches. It's how they're mapped. I expected 10% but 25% is a bloody HUGE jump. My old Guzzi might get a bit thirstier but there is no JUMP; it's analogue.

Now this may not matter if you ride where you have fuel available every 20miles - but on remote stretch and a good 50miles from ANYTHING in a humongous thunderstorm at 6AM on a Sunday with the brute loaded to the gills - It put me a wee bit on the nervous side. No bugger wanted to be out - including the police - so why not add 500rpms and cover those 500kms home faster.

@barbagris I'm looking forward to the report of your installation, and experience through two or three tanks, and if you recommend it, how you got it -- I'm still not sure how to navigate the various threads on two different websites.

Slower boy here from Alabama . . .

Back