The most accurate Fuel Gauge you will ever find ...

DEcosse

If it's no Scottish it's CRAP!
Ride
Triumph Daytona (Custom)
A friend of mine has developed a Fuel Gauge that has amazing accuracy all the way throughout the range. It's called the FuelBot2.0.
It started off specifically for the Suzuki SV650 but has evolved to something that is now universal - for cars as well as bikes! (well as long as they are EFI :D)

The original thread is - the developer (Dave) goes by screen name TeeRiver.
You can skip towards the last few pages to get details of the latest V2 revision. Dave is going to make a specific FuelBot2.0 thread soon - that original one is pretty lengthy and details the entire development/evolution to this point) The 2.0 stuff starts at about post #500
(note that if you decide to review the whole thread, the complex harnesses shown for the V1 are no longer required and it is a simple 4-wire connection)

The Computer board is now a Surface Mount professional-grade pcb and utilizes a microprocessor.

Waterproof too - here is video showing it actually submerged in water

That video above shows an older screen which just shows 'Distance To Empty' and 'Miles Gone' (since refill) on display screen # '1' (the screen number is shown in the bottom right corner of display)
- the latest rev also includes the tank % fill (like a traditional gauge) to single digit % accuracy along with those two shown on screen 1
Other screens can show you instantaneous consumption rate and Fuel volume used/remaining in actual gallons.

Instead of a traditional type of gauge (level sensor) that is looking at the actual volume of gas in the tank, it is calculating REAL usage by measuring the flow of the Fuel Injectors. In fact it does not use the OEM level sensor in any way! And it has a simple 4-wire connection for power, ground, injector sense and speed sense - all of which can be connected by PosiTaps.

How does it work?
We know that Fuel Mass (volume) is directly proportional to the duration that the injector is open;
As you open the throttle and the rpm rises, the injector remains open for a longer duration to delver more fuel (the actual flow rate through the injector is constant, so if open twice as long will deliver twice as much fuel) - those of you intimate with TuneECU or Fuel Injection systems will already know this of course.
So the accumulated time is correlated and through a programmable constant (specific for each vehicle) it gives incredibly accurate measurement of the fuel volume being consumed, regardless of how the engine is being operated. Then after one single fill-up, the computer is calibrated for that particular bike (or car) when you enter the ratio of filled volume (read off the pump) to the stored measurement of injector pulse time, so it hits it perfectly in one iteration.
Then it also has an input to its Computer from the speed sensor, which also then is calibrated for distance (again this will be user-calibrated for ANY bike or car); so system now knows both Fuel Consumed and the accumulated distance since the refill, so as well as fuel volume, it can also give a predictive distance till it needs to be refueled (predicted at whatever the current consumption rate is)
And a Third screen for Volume used/remaining.

The three different selectable screens are:

1. % Full, Distance Till Empty and Distance Gone
2. Instantaneous mpg*
3. Gallons Used and Gallons Left*

* It is also user selectable for US or Metric - US is Gallons & Miles, while Metric is km & Litres
(consumption rate in Metric is L/100km as opposed to mpg)

I've had the version 1 for a couple of years now - it truly is amazingly accurate.
(I did a )
The downside to the V1 was that the developer had to know the constants for the specific bike (fuel tank size, speed sender calibration) in order to program this directly for the application; so it had a quite narrow application list (he did the Triumph one for me on request).
But now with the FuelBot2.0, it is truly universal as those constants can be simply input by the end-user with nothing to look up in manuals other than just the fuel tank volume - the other settings are done empirically with initial rides. And he has integrated it into a single package/enclosure with only 4 wire hook-up and it now needs no external switch mounted to change screen modes/programming.

I think this would be a great 'fit' for the R3 community.
Dave has his contact info in the thread for anyone interested in getting one. teeriver@gmail.com

I can probably answer any questions here, as pertains to how this would work with the R3 or for general discussion on this community but contact Dave for specific info you might want.
Please note my only affiliation with Dave is as a friend and that friendship was gained through the SVRider forum community, much like the relationships we garner here on R3owners!

This is mine (on my Daytona) with a very simple mounting plate off my handlebar riser

Last edited:
A friend of mine has developed a Fuel Gauge that has amazing accuracy all the way throughout the range. It's called the FuelBot2.0.
It started off specifically for the Suzuki SV650 but has evolved to something that is now universal - for cars as well as bikes! (well as long as they are EFI :D)

The original thread is - the developer (Dave) goes by screen name TeeRiver.
You can skip towards the last few pages to get details of the latest V2 revision. Dave is going to make a specific FuelBot2.0 thread soon - that original one is pretty lengthy and details the entire development/evolution to this point) The 2.0 stuff starts at about post #500

Waterproof too - here is video showing it actually submerged in water

That video above shows an older screen which just shows 'Distance To Empty' and 'Miles Gone' (since refill) on display '1'
- the latest rev also includes the tank % fill (like a traditional gauge) to single digit % accuracy along with those two shown on screen 1
Other screens can show you instantaneous consumption rate and Fuel volume used/remaining in actual gallons.

Instead of a traditional type of gauge (level sensor) that is looking at the actual volume of gas in the tank, it is calculating REAL usage by measuring the flow of the Fuel Injectors. In fact it does not use the OEM level sensor in any way! And it has a simple 4-wire connection for power, ground, injector sense and speed sense - all of which can be connected by PosiTaps.

How does it work?
We know that Fuel Mass (volume) is directly proportional to the duration that the injector is open;
As you open the throttle and the rpm rises, the injector remains open for a longer duration to delver more fuel (the actual flow rate through the injector is constant, so if open twice as long will deliver twice as much fuel) - those of you intimate with TuneECU or Fuel Injection systems will already know this of course.
So the accumulated time is correlated and through a programmable constant (specific for each vehicle) it gives incredibly accurate measurement of the fuel volume being consumed, regardless of how the engine is being operated. Then after one single fill-up, the computer is calibrated for that particular bike (or car) when you enter the ratio of filled volume (read off the pump) to the stored measurement of injector pulse time, so it hits it perfectly in one iteration.
Then it also has an input to its Computer from the speed sensor, which also then is calibrated for distance (again this will be user-calibrated for ANY bike or car); so system now knows both Fuel Consumed and the accumulated distance since the refill, so as well as fuel volume, it can also give a predictive distance till it needs to be refueled (predicted at whatever the current consumption rate is)
And a Third screen for Volume used/remaining.

The three different selectable screens are:

1. % Full, Distance Till Empty and Distance Gone
2. Instantaneous mpg*
3. Gallons Used and Gallons Left*

* It is also user selectable for US or Metric - US is Gallons & Miles, while Metric is km & Litres

I've had the version 1 for a couple of years now - it truly is amazingly accurate.
(I did a )
The downside to the V1 was that the developer had to know the constants for the specific bike (fuel tank size, speed sender calibration) in order to program this directly for the application; so it had a quite narrow application list (he did the Triumph one for me on request).
But now with the FuelBot2.0, it is truly universal as those constants can be simply input by the end-user with nothing to look up in manuals other than just the fuel tank volume - the other settings are done empirically with initial rides. And he has integrated it into a single package/enclosure with only 4 wire hook-up and it now needs no external switch mounted to change screen modes/programming.

I think this would be a great 'fit' for the R3 community.
Dave has his contact info in the thread for anyone interested in getting one. teeriver@gmail.com
Price is $110 incl US shipping

I can probably answer any questions here, as pertains to how this would work with the R3 or for general discussion on this community but contact Dave for specific info you might want.
Please note my only affiliation with Dave is as a friend and that friendship was gained through the SVRider forum community, much like the relationships we garner here on R3owners!

Wow that's really cool, do you think it would work work on a Yamaha 4 stroke, fuel injection, V6 outboard motor?? I'm guessing you tap one injector signal wire and then multiply by number of cylinders?? Thanks in advance for your answer.

Great questions jag
Sure, it will work for any fuel injected motor - the number of cylinders does not have to be specifically entered but is factored in automatically when you do the first fuel fill.
It never needs to know how many cylinders, just that x msecs of injector time corresponds to y gals of fuel
The missing piece of input data however would be the speed sensor (I presume, since is watercraft?)
So you would get % level, fuel used & fuel left but the others would be redundant. Or is there some device that measures the boat speed?

What size is this thingy and how/where can it be mounted?

This is the actual case in which it is installed - http://www.polycase.com/uploads/66-KT-45.pdf - so dimensions are on there (It's approx 3.5" x 1.75" x 0.75")

Mounting will be the end-user's own choice - will depend on which model you have, whether you have fairing etc.
It's just a rectangular box, so you can decide where it will mount - ideally you would like to have the display facing you at something between -45 to 0 deg off vertical I would say, so you can clearly read the display

You could fix it to the bars - like this one on an SV650
V1 shown, case is similar but new one is slightly smaller/thinner - See dimensions above for V2
- those below are 4" x 2" x 1-1/8"

Here you can see a fairing mod, where an aperture has been cut directly into the fairing and the assembly mounted behind:

(or instead of recessing, can just be surface--mounted on the fairing

Here's one in a custom panel

Last edited:
Does it have a metric function? and will it work on a common rail diesel?

Does it have a metric function? and will it work on a common rail diesel?

Don't see why not Tony - as long as it has a Fuel Injector and a speedo, don't see see why not - makes no difference as to the injector config or type of fuel it meters; principle of operation should be same
I'm not that intimate with Diesel Systems but the only caveat is that the fuel pressure must be constant - if that varies, then the delivered mass (volume) will not be only proportional to the injector pulse duration but also to the pressure so if this is changing for demand requirements, this would not be accounted for
(e.g. with a rising rate Fuel Pressure system as employed in some forced air controllers, it would not work)

From some quick research I did

The injector is controlled by the Electronic Diesel Control (EDC). This ensures that the nozzle needle is opened or closed by the actuator, be it solenoid valve or Piezo. Injectors with Piezo actuators are somewhat narrower and operate at a particularly low noise level. Both variants demonstrate similarly short switching times and enable pre-injection, main injection and secondary injection to ensure clean and efficient fuel combustion at every operating point.

So all of those volumes would be captured & cumulative, assuming they are each supplied at the same pressure and proportional directly to the pulse width.

Last edited:
Great questions jag
Sure, it will work for any fuel injected motor - the number of cylinders does not have to be specifically entered but is factored in automatically when you do the first fuel fill.
It never needs to know how many cylinders, just that x msecs of injector time corresponds to y gals of fuel
The missing piece of input data however would be the speed sensor (I presume, since is watercraft?)
So you would get % level, fuel used & fuel left but the others would be redundant. Or is there some device that measures the boat speed?

Speed is measured by gps on your chart plotter and the factory gauge use a vacuume pick up for speed, very inaccurate. The reason I ask is the our corn fuel is even more suspect on the water, than on land. It would be nice to know your burn rate so you could run you tank down low and then fill up with what you need especially at the same end of the season when you want your tanks as close to empty as you can. Fuel gauges on a boat are very inaccurate, and a factory fuel flow management system are very expensive.

I thought it might be GPS Jag - the system uses the raw pulses from a speed sender, where x number of pulses equates to distance (so it's not really interested in speed, its just the odo function for distance traveled)
So needs a conventional speed sender to use the distance and mpg displays
You would still have the Fuel Level (%) and Fuel Used (gals) and Fuel Left (Gals) which would still be really accurate and that is maybe all you need?

Back