The last sportster....

CamaroCarl

Get busy living or get busy dying.
Ride
2018 rocket3 roadster
Well the last H-D sportster being built in Kansas City rolled off the line today. The factory opened in 1997, some of the people worked there for the whole 22 years, start to finish. Started with just sportster, added the Dyna line, then Vrod vehicle and powertrain line, added a cvo line for vrod and dyna, then the Street 500 and 750, and some of the soft tail line. Over 800 union employees at one time, Harley enthusiasts from all over the world came and toured the plant, we had an open house every year for the public. We brought our kids to work once a year, showed them how Harley's were built, some of them grew up and got jobs there. From fabrication to paint to final assembly. I worked there for 17 years, my wife for 9 years. For some of us we were all in on Harley Davidson, lived it and breathed it every day. Lot of emotions today, life goes on, there will be other jobs, but I don't think anything will replace the experience I had of building Harleys.

I hope you left last year by choice and what are you up to now? :thumbsup:

Must have been a brave act to buy a Triumph with that background!;):thumbsup::D:cool:

There is a real advantage in 'jumping the gun', before the rush of unfortunate unemployed.:(
Yeah, once I knew it was over I took their money and left first chance. I'm making metal dog food cans now. 12 hour shifts, nights, weekends. 750,000 cans every 12 hours. Lots of pics and videos shared today of the last bike being built on the assembly line, lots of memories there. No regrets on trading in the Harley for my rocket. Still loving it and get way more looks and compliments.

Choked me up big time Carl. What a sad day. Many riders criticize the Sporty as a ladies bike bit it certainly is not that. My good friend Jim Nienhaus, former owner of Titletown Cycles in Green Bay, built Sportster drag bikes and once told me that pound for pound he could get more power, torque and better 1/4 mile times out of a Sportster than a big twin. I still bear the fading scar on the inside of my right shin as a result of kickback from an old iron head Sportster about 40 years ago.

Another motorcycle icon and era comes to an end. I know building dog food cans pays the bills but at the end of the day, it doesn't come close to seeing a beautiful Harley Davidson Sportster roll off the assembly line and into the loading area, knowing you were a part of it.

Thank you for this thread.

Last edited:
Back