The big juicy smelly yellow bug award......

Toystoretom

Living Legend
Goes to Pianoman :D!!!!!!

When it smashed into his Clearview Windshield it exploded and pretty much ended all chances of him ever being able to see through it on the rest of our ride today. Ha.....

Dave and I rode out to Lexington Missouri today to get a few of the world's greasiest Made Rite sandwiches. We were pleasantly surprised to find that the State of Misery had repaved old 24 Hwy just for us. This is a very scenic route that runs right along the Missouri River and is one of our favorite rides, the new pavement just made it better. On our way out there we were met with a couple of sport bikes being chased by what appeared to be a local Kansas City sports car club. In the lead was a new Corvette followed by some high dollar Infinity and Nissan junk and several BMW's. The sport bikes looked like they were having no trouble leaving the cars for dead on that narrow twisty road. Crap.... Dave and I probably could have turned around and added to their torment but we had Made Rites calling.

So we get into Lexington and much to our surprise we found the Made Rite stand was closed on Sundays. I thought Dave was going to cry. We started checking around and many of the local "joints" were either closed for the day or had moved. Now, I know Lexington is a small town but wouldn't you think that if you moved your restaurant you would leave a sign on the old location telling people where you went? Dave stopped a local ( a very nice lady) and asked where our favorite Mex hangout went to and she looked at us like we were retards. "It's down by the theater now". Well, why didn't we think of that?:D

So off we rode and found this cool place instead.... Mulligan's, an Irish pub to be sure. Turns out it was originally buily in the 1850's by a German dude named John Goehner. John made a living by making headstones and monuments and some were still there.
I have some pics and a lithograph from 1857 of John's business.

If you get into Lexington check this place out. Some very cool Civil War and steamboat pics on the inside. I had a great Chicago Style hot dog and Dave went after the very spicy Goehner Dog (named after the building's original owner).

They also turned us on to a Civil War museum that had to do with the Battle of Lexington in 1862? All I know is that the Confederates kicked the Union Boy's butts in that one. We are going to ride back sometime this summer and check that out, we just didn't have time today.

I'm sure Dave can add much more... just a good time by two old fools (the best kind).

An awesome old house next door...

Some more of John Goehner's handiwork...

The Pub in 1857....

Nice day out guys. Isn't it nice when you discover new stuff to replace the old stuff. I'm still out smelling spring and they have done some nice jobs on new asphalt on the hurricane escape routes. Sure hope we don't need to use them for THAT any time soon.:rolleyes:

Glad to hear the day was good for the two of you. Sure wish I could have joined in but I "did" get away just 2 weeks ago. Gotta watch how often I break away. Keep me in mind next time out though. Great photos Tomo. Pianoman stated you guys had a good day.

See ya.

Not Much To Add

Thought I'd add my 2 cents . It was a great day to ride and an interesting little city. For anyone who might want to ride there...... Mulligan's is at 901 Franklin and Made-Rite ( but Sunday they're not Made At All ) is at 1401 Main. Oh, the Mexican joint (which I've tried before at their old location) serves great food and is about 4 blocks East of Mulligan's next to the movie theatre.

The older gal that we asked for directions went ballistic when I said we'd ridden all the way up there for Made-Rites. "Oh, my husband got food poisoned there and I'm pretty sure they've got bugs and critters and.......Oh, don't ever eat there". Very adamant about us not even thinking of going there. I told her I had a cast-iron stomach and needed some grease from time to time for my constitution. Anyway, she was a character and I'm pretty sure she's using the Tammy Faye make up kit a little too much!

Returning on 224 we had a few surprises as a dump truck had pulled across our lane coming out of a mud bogged area. Pretty big chunks of dirt and mud laying across the road. We also helped a couple of guys mowing along the highway by dispersing the newly cut grass with our wake. Being second in a line of two, some of it came through my vent in the Clearview screen. Flip, help me design a screen cover to put over the front since even some bugs make it through.

We had hoped to meet Rusty but he didn't make it. I thought about calling him but was afraid he might have snuck out and I didn't want his wife wondering why I was looking for him. ( Two times married so I do remember of few of the "Protect your fellow man" rules!

All in all, a nice ride, good food [ the hot dog were huge and made of 100% Angus beef ], stimulating conversation, interesting sites, fun people and another chance to blow out the cob webs. Several times we were stopped by folks who used to ride or were riding Hardleys wanting to know more about the bike. Tom probably sat with engine running for a good 5 minutes while I tried to answer all the questions of 3 HD riders wondering about the beast.

Hopefully we'll be able to get a bunch of folks to go on my next little soirée around KC.

Over and Out

Last edited:
Looks like a neat place. I love going to the little hole in the wall, out of the way places that are rich in history. And when you can do it on a bike with a bud, it's just so much the better.

Back