Test rode a GT and an R

I'm in the market for a new bike and this one seems to fit the bill. I rode the R first and I was really hoping to love the GT for it's improved seat, windscreen, and passenger accommodations but for me it wasn't even close. The GT cooked my right calf and I had a hard time getting my foot between the peg and the shift lever. I checked out the Triumph page and it's not a huge expense to either give the GT the mid controls OR buy the R and add the touring seat, pillion, backrest, windscreen, and touring handlebars. Has anybody done this to their bike, and if so did you go with Triumph or the aftermarket?

As far as I can tell if I were to do this the only differences would be the color of the bike and the appearance of the wheels. Can anybody confirm they're the same wheels, just chrome accents on the GT? Any other differences I'm not accounting for?

Thanks!
Doesn't the GT also have larger exhaust heat shields than the R?

I found that adjusting the forward controls to the closest position alleviated the cooked calf issue. Beyond that, you can also adjust the placement of the shift lever (in whatever position you have the controls) to forward or back to accommodate your foot placment. Beyond that, there are no aftermarket parts available yet, and, yes, you can interchange all the parts between the R and the GT without much issue.

I'm in the market for a new bike and this one seems to fit the bill. I rode the R first and I was really hoping to love the GT for it's improved seat, windscreen, and passenger accommodations but for me it wasn't even close. The GT cooked my right calf and I had a hard time getting my foot between the peg and the shift lever. I checked out the Triumph page and it's not a huge expense to either give the GT the mid controls OR buy the R and add the touring seat, pillion, backrest, windscreen, and touring handlebars. Has anybody done this to their bike, and if so did you go with Triumph or the aftermarket?

As far as I can tell if I were to do this the only differences would be the color of the bike and the appearance of the wheels. Can anybody confirm they're the same wheels, just chrome accents on the GT? Any other differences I'm not accounting for?

Thanks!
Corbin has a new dual touring seat. Powerbronze and Puig have screens.

Thanks, it's not. I'll stop hijacking the thread as you have not replaced the bars yourself. Cheers.
It’s all good Mucca.
Exactly! I appreciate the courtesy but my question is already answered so you're not even really hijacking it.

Let me hijack my own thread. Has anybody purchased post C19 and been able to get a good deal on the purchase? More importantly, any major issues to worry about, and is there anything to look for when making a prepurchase inspection? I haven't heard much bad about this bike but it's not a huge seller in my area and I've never even seen one on the road. I've purchased 1st year editions of vehicles before and every time I've said "never again" and then I keep doing it. Do you guys think I should just wait for the '21s or jump on on a '20 if I can secure a good deal.

2 other quicky questions about the bike
1. Is there a built-in battery tender?
2. Any issues with the power adapter up front? I like to run an x-mount for GPS and would need to buy that adapter since I'd prefer to not run a USB from the seat all the way to the bars.

I rode the R first and I was really hoping to love the GT for it's improved seat,

Thanks!
I don't see the GT seat as "improved" over the R, only different (in a for me, negative way, maybe it's just the general cruiser/V-Rod stance i hate that puts me off)
Anyway the seat/riding position puts all weight on butt/tailbone and kills both within double digit miles travelled.
Everything else is interchangeable, including the wheels. AFAIK it's just the edges of the "spokes" that are polished on the GT. I reckon that would be. easy although elbow grease consuming to do yourself on the R wheels.

I come from M109R's so I like the forward controls with drag style handlebars so I test drove both bikes and was amazed by the difference, altho they both ride good the R had more direct steering, on the GT the handlebars are too close for me so I did as I had in my mind before the test and ordered a GT with R handlebars and the bike is perfect like that, have to say that I'm 6'5"! My dealer swapped the handlebars but it took a lot longer than the 1.5hrs Triumph claims it takes to swap, they had to remove the fuel tank to get to all the connections of the attachments of the handlebars!

Back