Test rode a GT and an R

msdunkel

.040 Over
Ride
2020 Triumph Rocket 3R
I'm in the market for a new bike and this one seems to fit the bill. I rode the R first and I was really hoping to love the GT for it's improved seat, windscreen, and passenger accommodations but for me it wasn't even close. The GT cooked my right calf and I had a hard time getting my foot between the peg and the shift lever. I checked out the Triumph page and it's not a huge expense to either give the GT the mid controls OR buy the R and add the touring seat, pillion, backrest, windscreen, and touring handlebars. Has anybody done this to their bike, and if so did you go with Triumph or the aftermarket?

As far as I can tell if I were to do this the only differences would be the color of the bike and the appearance of the wheels. Can anybody confirm they're the same wheels, just chrome accents on the GT? Any other differences I'm not accounting for?

Thanks!

I initially ordered the GT but the delivery date kept moving so opted to buy the R and bolt on the GT parts.
so far I have the seat, screen, sissy bar, heated grips and bars fitted. Just waiting on the forward controls but to be honest I found the same issue as you with the forward mounted pegs so I’m really tempted to leave the mid mounts in place.

I initially ordered the GT but the delivery date kept moving so opted to buy the R and bolt on the GT parts.
so far I have the seat, screen, sissy bar, heated grips and bars fitted. Just waiting on the forward controls but to be honest I found the same issue as you with the forward mounted pegs so I’m really tempted to leave the mid mounts in place.
That issue being the shifting, the cooked calf, or both?

I put mid controls on my GT. Wasn't bad. The heated grips on the GT is worth having and I like the bars too.
Thanks, I forgot about the heated grips. I basically want a red GT with mid mounted controls which necessitates getting an R and modifying. Gets expensive doing it that way, I'm trying to work it into a deal but we'll see what happens.

Did you fit them all your self?... reason for asking is I'm just fitting the GT bars and am struggling to locate things like the clutch bleed point... the rest looks easy-ish

That issue being the shifting, the cooked calf, or both?

Thanks, I forgot about the heated grips. I basically want a red GT with mid mounted controls which necessitates getting an R and modifying. Gets expensive doing it that way, I'm trying to work it into a deal but we'll see what happens.
I found the shifter awkward but I think it could be moved slightly to accommodate, the brake is also at an odd angle for full actuation however that to could probably be adjusted. Didn’t notice a problem with heat on my calf to be fair but I wear Kevlar jeans which are fairly thick so that may help.

my dealer has been in point to be honest, fitted the parts for free as they came in and knocked some ££ off the total cost so all up Doing it this way has only cost me an extra couple of hundred quid. I had the Bluetooth module fitted too.

Did you fit them all your self?... reason for asking is I'm just fitting the GT bars and am struggling to locate things like the clutch bleed point... the rest looks easy-ish

My intention was to fit them but as the dealer was going to do it gratis I thought why get my hands dirty!! Yeah I checked out the fitting instruction and it’s pretty much money for old rope, the dealer did suggest that to bleed the brakes you need to actuate the ABS valve but that’s crap, provided your not dealing with a fully empty system which your not it’s not an issue. Haven’t looked at the clutch but the bleed point should be around the slave cylinder!

Last edited:
My intention was to fit them but as the dealer was going to do it gratis I thought why get my hands dirty!! Yeah I checked out the fitting instruction and it’s pretty much money for old rope, the dealer did suggest that to bleed the brakes you need to actuate the ABS valve but that’s crap, provided your not dealing with a fully empty system which your not it’s not an issue. Haven’t looked at the clutch but the bleed point should be around the slave cylinder!
I’m struggling to find the slave cylinder!

Back