RADEMIS

Supercharged
Well I already have my first dent/scratch actually two of them. I don't know if this is my fault or the dealerships. My handlebars had crept down too low and the screws that hold the grip assemblies together have been making contact with the tank. the left side is much worse than the right side. it is not only a scratch, but dented in as well. So BEWARE, don't assume that everything is all tight and in proper position. Make sure your handlebars are tight, and that in full turn they do not contact the tank. Sad to report, Rademis

That same thing (minus the dent, just paint chip) happened to me. I think it happened when I stored my bike at the dealership last winter. It looked like someone was moving it and cranked the bars too hard to the left and BAM, a pea sized divot was taken out of my paint. You can see the metal so I put a little high gloss black fingernail polish in there to temporarily seal it off until I can get it fixed right. It will give me an excuse to give my bike a new paint job.

My dent is self inflicted. When I put my fog lights on I did not realize that the switch housing was low enough to dent my tank when in the locked position.:eek:

If you don't have a dent... just a paint chip, Triumph sells some nice touch up paint. I've got some bug and rock chips here and there. If you ride 'em they aren't show bikes anymore :D

Well I already have my first dent/scratch actually two of them. I don't know if this is my fault or the dealerships. My handlebars had crept down too low and the screws that hold the grip assemblies together have been making contact with the tank. the left side is much worse than the right side. it is not only a scratch, but dented in as well. So BEWARE, don't assume that everything is all tight and in proper position. Make sure your handlebars are tight, and that in full turn they do not contact the tank. Sad to report, Rademis

There was a TBS bulletin issued sometime ago advising the dealer to check the torque of the pinch bolts on the handlebar clamps carefully, which, it appears your dealer didn't do.

I believe I'd be paying a visit to that dealer and asking them why they didn't check the fastener torque before you took delivery and if they said they did, I'd be asking hard questions as to why the bars rotated. It was exactly that problem that initiated the TBS in the first place and Triumph was replacing tanks that had gotten dented due to the bar rotation and subsequent contact by the switch housings.

Your dealer didn't do his/her job in prepping the bike properly. That's obvious. Whether, in fact, the dealer will replace the tank remains to be seen. I'd imagine that Triumph no longer will replace tanks dented by rotating handlebars as they issued that TBS to correct the problem, which, the dealer didn't adhere to. You might want to call Triumph in Newman Georgia as a followup to the dealer visit and bring them up to speed on what happened and your dealer's response.

When I take delivery of anything new, as a rule before I even take the vehicle off the lot, I check the fluids and when I get it home I go over everything, especially fasteners and check for tightness. I almost lost my license plate mount on my Rocket riding it home from the dealer. It was loose. Lucky I was near a bud's house and stopped there and tightened it back up with some Loctite. I called the dealer and reamed their ass. No damage done, unlike you.

It's always been my assumption that the dealer flunkie(s) uncrate the bikes and do the initial assembly. I presume the bottom guy on the totem pole gets that job and then, hopefully, a mechanic checks his handiwork. I said hopefully.

I have the same dent

I have the same dent, only I got mine sliding under a moving logging truck when I did a couple 360's on the ice. It was a freak snow storm early in October. The road crews did not sand the roads.
When I came to a stop a woman in a car was screaming hysterically as if she had slid under the truck.
Somehow I managed to get my arm out from under the bike and lift it up by myself on the slippery ice and walk it to the edge of the road. It would not start for a while. I then dog paddled it to the hospital which was only 100 yards away. I only went there because I worked there.
That is the story of my dent. It is also the reason why I have 13 inch apes.:D

Viking73

That is the 2nd or 3rd report I've seen herein of the bars slipping down. I'm fairly sure Viking73 had this issue. I've not seen him around in 6 months.
Phatdad, how'd your lingerie fair after the event? A paint chip an nothing compared to ruined undies.

Last edited:
New fuel tank today

Hats off to my dealer today, they ordered a new tank and replaced it while I waited. No cost to me.
Again make sure your handle bars are tight: if they slip down they will contact and damage your tank. Rademis

Back