joey fletcher

My Son's Bike
Ride
Recliner
OK....Guys

I am having a senior moment...

I changed oil in the rocket about 3 months ago....Ever since then I have had an oil leak from the front drain plug closest to the kick stand side.

Yesterday I changed out the crush washer....thinking it maybe it was wore out...

**** thing is still leaking..:mad:

Is it possible to get the plugs mixed up???? The plug that is leaking is about 1 inch long with a tapperd end and has an O-ring on it

I saw the thread where warp showed the sump.....and yes I might have cracked mine...I pulled on it pretty hard when it was leaking right after I change the oil

**** thing is just going to leak.....not messing with it until after MV

One no sorry two words---torque wrench-- use a torque wrench especially with crush washers, if you can get another crush washer replace the existing one and torque it to the correct setting, you might have mangled up the crush washer with tooooo much force(hope it is not cracked)
Look on the bright side all Triumphs used to leak you are going old school.:D

That same plug decided to leak on mine last year on the way home from MV. I stopped and bought some thread tape. Loosened the plug several threads then wound the thread tape around several times above and below the crush washer. Hasn't leaked a drop since. When I change the earl again I'll buy some new crush washers. Hope this helps.

The crush washers are made from soft alloy, when torqued to the correct setting they 'crush', this compresses the material slightly and makes then more dense = harder. Every time you re-use them the correct torque will crush them less, at some point they wont seal.

The answer is to not to use more torque but fit new washers - or use a sealant on the old ones.

My sump started to leak also, I found the small sump pan bolts were lose:eek:
I just nipped them up with a 10mm socket, all good now.

Well Joey when we gt back we shall have to check with Andy from NCY and see if you can get one or if the black ones are the same as the silver ones/ if they are too pricey and they can be swopped out I know Polock that has a extra one laying around.:D:D

Oh and while packing I gound my extra TPS sensor so I guess I will have three now.:eek:

Back