Cleaned my oil-sump filters, worried about what I found.

brsmits

BRB, on adventure...
Ride
2013 R3T, "Trinity"
A while back on my 2013 R3T I started getting a low oil pressure light at low RPMs. Rev the engine just a little - light goes off, rides just fine. Back down to idle - light comes on, seems to idle just fine. Though google-fu and this forum it looked like an oil pressure sensor gone funny. So I change the sensor and it still happens. Covid/winter/life gets in the way for a bit and the bike sits for 6mo or so. I figure an oil change will help but read about cleaning the filters, with the idea that clogged filter means less oil when the sump isn't powered as much at low rpms, at high rpms there is more power so the oil can force it's way past the blockage (no idea if this is correct, but it's where my head went.)

So I drop the sump pan, follow the instructions and check the filters. Is that a chunk of a **** bearing? It was metal, curved, and reasonably thin. How boned am I? Pics show the filter, the other filter was much cleaner, just with small bits of dirt and crap.

Attachments

• Oil-Sump-Filter.jpg
    Oil-Sump-Filter.jpg
    94 KB · Views: 108
Looks as if it has lawn clippings, twigs and some bark too.

If it's been running fine I would clean it up put it back together and put new oil in run it a hundred miles put an engine flush through it drop the sump again and check it to see if it's clean.

JMO

that looks to me like main bearings for the crank.
hopefully we will get more opinions.
if it is the main bearing that is why u are losing oil pressure.
i would show it to an engine rebuilder for his opinion
good luck
would recommend not driving till u find out what it is.

Chris, I am getting a wee bit worried about our Warp have called him a few times with no return call, anyone heard from him?????? hope it is not serious with your bike.
I text with him almost daily, but he has become a lazy couch potato , I'll light a fire under his ass and tell him to return his phone calls.

I text with him almost daily, but he has become a lazy couch potato , I'll light a fire under his ass and tell him to return his phone calls.
On my 06 , I dropped the pan and found both filter to be more than 50% clogged with metal particles. Only thing I could fogure was that the engine case was not cleaned properly at the factory. They left a lot of metal shavings behind .

Back