hi,yesterday I changed the oil,when I took out the drain plugs the front one had a normal washer on it,the centre one had a crush washer but no seal on it, the rear one had no washer at all.i put them back as was and no leaks but im worrying about the centre one with no seal.is it just to stop oil draining from the tank to the sump?im probably worrying for nothing as it been like this for the last 8000 miles.the service is normally done at triumph dealer,but never again.:mad:

The plug at the front right of mine had a slow leak for ages. Would drop a spot every couple of days - no biggy. When I changed the oil I used a non-Triumph crush washer that seemed the same size as the one I took out. After a month or so it started the same slow leak so I took the plug out to change for another new crush washer. I checked them for size and they were identical but I also noticed that the ID was ever so slightly too small to fit properly over the shoulder of the plug and was not sitting flush on the smooth rim. These washers are standard sized after market but apparently not exactly the right size by a minute margin. Before giving any of these plugs another twist I'd be having a close look that the crush washer is fitting properly. I used one with a larger than needed ID (but correct OD) and no leak.

I used to torque the plugs and found the I would get the occasional smear of oil around the drain plugs then I started to apply a smear of selleys 401 silicon to crush washers nip them up and No leaks ..... works for me, no leaks

I re-used the washers on my last service (600) now have over 3000. I always smear a dap of that white Teflon paste on the threads and washers. No problems so far.:)

Back