I had the same hard starting symptoms a year or so ago on my '06 Classic. I fiddled with all the aforementioned possibilities, including installing a new fuel filter. After still having problems starting I got into the habit of giving the throttle a full turn two or three times, before turning the ignition on. Then I got consistent and instant starts and the momentary idle up near 2000 rpm's before settling in at 800-900 rpm's, as it should. I don't know why this works for me. I would think with the ignition off that gas is not being pumped and injectors are not spraying. My only guess is by pumping the throttle the throttle plates, and/or other things, are getting loosened up and start moving like they should when the ignition is turned on and the starter engaged.

It occurs to me that pumping the throttle before starting is an old habit I had back in, "olden times" with my very old carbureted cars and bikes before the days of fuel injection and ECM's and sensors up the Ying Yang. I still remember needing to keep the gas pedal to the floor to overcome a flooded carb.

Back