Professor

Standard Bore
Ride
1983 Honda V-65 Magna, 2023 Rocket 3 GT
I've been riding bikes for 56yrs now and starting to wind down but still have the bug. I Currently own a 1983 Honda V-65 Magna with 21k on it and purchased new. My question is looking to upgrade to a 2023 Triumph Rocket 3 GT. Is there any bad quirks about this bike that I should know of like electrical, engine, tires, ect. I'd like to hear your honest opinions before I push the button. Thank you, The Professor

Welcome from the UK.
Well, that's an interesting statement. 'starting to wind down but...' and thinking that a Rocket 3 might fit the bill. Especially surprising when you've got a more suitable wind down sled in the garage already. :)

I'm very new to the Rocket so I can't advise with a very in depth view. The only points that spring to mind are that they are heavy to push around, but once underway they are a very easy bike to ride. The engine and transmission enables a relaxed ride if you want to ride that way.
Having ridden and owned all types of bikes over the years, I would say that latest Rocket 3 is not like any other bike. Have you tried one yet?

I'm 5ft 10ins and weigh about 194lbs, I'm about to be 68 years old. I changed from my 1200 Bonnie in July 2021 as I had hip/knee ache sometimes so I thought the Rocket 3 GT would solve the problem by moving my feet forward. It has solved that problem and is a great bike. I had an ABS sensor replaced and a new starter solenoid under warranty but now I'm beginning to think it's too heavy for me moving around, parking etc. Great when on the move.

Welcome from the UK.
Well, that's an interesting statement. 'starting to wind down but...' and thinking that a Rocket 3 might fit the bill. Especially surprising when you've got a more suitable wind down sled in the garage already. :)

I'm very new to the Rocket so I can't advise with a very in depth view. The only points that spring to mind are that they are heavy to push around, but once underway they are a very easy bike to ride. The engine and transmission enables a relaxed ride if you want to ride that way.
Having ridden and owned all types of bikes over the years, I would say that latest Rocket 3 is not like any other bike. Have you tried one yet?
Not yet but have sat on them at the dealer. The reason I'm looking is that the old V65 is showing it's age and currently down with problems. As you know trying to find parts or even someone that knows how to work on one is next to impossible. I recently owned a Hog and that's a good name for it. A Honda Civic could beat me in the 1/4. I'm used to the power the V65 put out and owned a new T120 Bonnie back in 66 and it had oil leaks, electrical problems all the time so wanted to make sure the new ones don't have the same issues especially with today's repair and parts cost. Thanks for your input.

I've had my 2020 3R since February and have put 13,000 miles on her. Overall, I'm very happy with the bike and haven't had too many problems. If you search, you will find other members who have been less fortunate (search the Lemon Laws thread, for example). Of course, you have to figure that for every person experiencing an issue that you read about there are probably 20 more with smooth sailing.

My bike has not been to a shop. As with my 2011 Roadster I do all my own repairs, including tires.
Engine
My biggest complaint is that my bike uses about 1 quart of oil/3,000 miles (not crazy about that). There are others reporting this issue, but I think this is not true of most of the new bikes, just my misfortune.
Electrical
Soon after getting it I found that the little pos clutch switch had a screw missing and the other was loose- easily fixed. I've added aux lighting, a dash camera system, and a plug for heated gear and it all plays well together.
Tires
There are currently problems getting stock replacement tires (Cobra Chromes). As cool as they look and the name sounds, I'm not a fan of them and use other brands. There are a number of front tire options and the Bridgestone Exedra Max is a superior, and far less expensive, option for the rear that is easily sourced.

Hope some of this helps. This is a fantastic machine- no other bike like it. Get it. Enjoy!

Not yet but have sat on them at the dealer. The reason I'm looking is that the old V65 is showing it's age and currently down with problems. As you know trying to find parts or even someone that knows how to work on one is next to impossible. I recently owned a Hog and that's a good name for it. A Honda Civic could beat me in the 1/4. I'm used to the power the V65 put out and owned a new T120 Bonnie back in 66 and it had oil leaks, electrical problems all the time so wanted to make sure the new ones don't have the same issues especially with today's repair and parts cost. Thanks for your input.
Hello again,
Having read your story so far i'm picturing a situation where you have had the V65 as your main bike for all those years and perhaps not been experiencing all the various makes/ models/types of bikes for a good few years. You've found the Rocket and perhaps like me you've been stuck by the very striking appearance and sheer presence of the bike.
It does feel surprisingly light when you throw a leg over the bike and the ergonomics feel quite natural, so that is definitely a positive.
One thing I found was after sitting on the Rocket for the first time, nothing else felt as good......I was in effect drawn in and under it's spell.

Despite buying one just before Christmas, I still have my concerns over the complexity of the electronics behind the bike.
By default, I would much prefer not to have that layer of complexity in case if it began to develop reliability problems. I would be at the mercy of the dealer if that happened, and once the warranty expires it could be a very expensive pup....but....I have decided to take an optimistic view, however, there is that niggling feeling that it won't be trouble free. Only time will tell.

It's winter here now, and these days I only ride for fun, so I am using this period to adjust things on the bike to suit my preferences before putting some proper shakedown miles on the bike in the springtime such as resolving the fender/mudguard deficiency that the bike has.
The dirt/water spray from the rear tyre is quite frankly ridiculous. Probably the worst set up i've ever experienced on any other road bike, but I feel confident I can sort that problem satisfactorily with my own design solution. There are also bolt-on solutions already out there and available to buy.

My bottom line view regarding reliability concerns is.....if trouble free long term ownership is at the top of the list of shopping requirements, look for a medium spec Honda. In my experience they just work and do everything very well. Of course buying a bike is not that simple, as there is a highly emotive factor to it.
When I rode the Rocket, I knew straight away that it was the next bike for me regardless of the potential negatives. It's a journey i'm excited to take.
Good luck with your quest!

I've been riding bikes for 56yrs now and starting to wind down but still have the bug. I Currently own a 1983 Honda V-65 Magna with 21k on it and purchased new. My question is looking to upgrade to a 2023 Triumph Rocket 3 GT. Is there any bad quirks about this bike that I should know of like electrical, engine, tires, ect. I'd like to hear your honest opinions before I push the button. Thank you, The Professor
Couple of points. Your bike has 21,000 miles from new in 40 years for an average of 525 miles per year. If that is indeed the case you are looking to spend a LOT of money on something that won't even get broken in for a couple years. I bought a new 2005 R3 in 2006 and put over 60,000 on it with very few issues. IDK put a quarter million on his. If you're wanting a great ride with enough power and torque to put a smile on your face, any bike will do. I traded my beloved Rocket two years ago for a Bobber Black because it was too hard to push around my garage and now that I'm 70 I prefer a lighter more agile bike than my Rocket. So I have three bikes, all are fun, all are easy to push around my garage. I loved my Rocket (qualified Iron Butt on it), but there comes a time when practicality outweighs the lust.
1673280995124.jpeg

1673281017217.jpeg

1673281037357.jpeg

Bought my GT about an hour after Triumph finally let us start ordering them , the only issue I can think of that I had was the rear brake fading sometimes, usually when you really needed it, but dealer seems to have sorted that out, almost 40,000km on it now, and have only needed to change oil, brakes, tires and nearly had to change my underwear a couple of times, for those "I think I just went in over my head moments"

My TFC has been very reliable. I had the rear brake bleed recall done and suffered a dead battery once. It starts and runs all day every time I take it out. It’s a big expensive toy but tons of fun. My best description of the bike is fun. I don’t understand the complaints about heavy pushing around the garage? I use to motor to move mine. I can easily back it out of the garage for a ride but a little down hill slope to the driveway and being 6’2” helps out. My Indian baggers are much heavier.

If you get a Rocket you will not be winding down, you will be revving up.;)

Back