Starting to wonder if the Rocket is right for me...

"find you a set, I know that means going to the harley dealer"

How in THE hell can you advocate that?! YOU MONSTER!

*grabs Crazyman by the hand*

Come on Crazy, let's get the hell out of here. Next, they'll have us going to Wal-Mart!

:eek:

You can get any HD-compatible bars you like from Flanders Handlebars.

What about these moveable foot pegs?
Link Removed

Personally I'm very happy with the RIII riding position although I wouldn't mind being able to 'stand' on something directly under me once in a while on a longish trip to get the weight off my arse and blood flowing. Just some little pegs at the back of the foot peg rails would do it.

After putting 30k on this bike in the last year and a half, I'm starting to wonder if I'll keep this bike much longer. I love the ride and the power, but this bike is a 900 pound beast. I can't get comfortable despite trying new seats, risers, and screens. It's a little disappointing for me because I love the bike. I think I'm slowly coming to realize that 'cruisers' may not be the right bike for me. I've been looking at other bikes in the sport touring / 'adventure' design. Namely the Triumph Tiger 1050 and the BMW RT.

I'd planned on adding one of these bikes to the stable. I wonder though if I might not ride the Rocket as much with another bike that fits me better.:confused:

The trick, if you will, is having multiple bikes to ride, rather than one. Myself, I have 3. The Rocket, The Bonnie and the KLR, all 3 very different bikes. I'd like to add one more, possibly a sport tourer.

Having multiple bikes allows you enjoy each bike for what it's best at without getting bored and without compromising your riding styles. Myself, I enjoy the Rocket for long freeway type rides but I enjoy my KLR off roading and riding in fields and woods too. The Rocket can't do that, the KLR can. Finally, I enjoy my Bonnie because it's so unusual with it's sidecar, plus it's very different to ride compared to a normal motorcycle.

Life is all about variety and change. Keep the Rocket and get yourself another mount. You won't forsake the Rocket, you'll just divide the time.:)

The trick, if you will, is having multiple bikes to ride, rather than one. Myself, I have 3.

Life is all about variety and change. Keep the Rocket and get yourself another mount. You won't forsake the Rocket, you'll just divide the time.:)

Concur; three here as well; Rocket - VTX1300R - VStrom. All unique.

Rocket = Brute power, massive. Full time freeway
VTX = Obnoxious noise; chrome whore. Part time freeway/part time city
VStrom = City bike; good for heavy traffic

I have considered keeping the Rocket and getting the Tiger as a second bike. Probably won't though. I don't want to have to finance / borrow money for a bike, even if it's only a little bit of money.

I did ride about 400 miles this weekend on the Rocket. Same as it ever was.

I'm not certain yet what I'm going to do. I'm not in a rush.

Crazyman- you should try a Roadster. I couldn't ride a R3T cos it was too awkward with the forward pegs but the Roadster fits me fine. Done nearly 5000 miles in 4 months and love it, at least half of that with my wife on the back. The riding position is just right for me at 5-11, with the footrests where I can stand on them if I need to. She likes it too.
The Tiger 1050 is so tall it's a problem 2-up IMHO, the T-Bird didn't suit me as with forward pegs it kicked my back on the bumps and the pillion was hard. The Roadster is big, heavy, but it can do everything from M-way blasts to back roads pottering at 40-50. And blow off anything when you need to. As long as you park it right !

But for an easy bike to handle and go anywhere the 650 V-Strom is hard to beat. get a cheap one with the luggage and a louder can and have fun!

I've checked around the local dealers and none have had a V Strom in almost a year.
It appears Suzuki hasn't brought any into the US this past year due to the economy.

I'd certainly consider one. Lots of folks on the ADV Rider forum have them and seem to really like the bikes.

And no, I don't know anyone locally who has one to check out.

I'm going to keep the Rocket for a while. I owe just a bit more than it's worth to sell. Don't want to incur more debt.

Another year or so and I might be able to find another bike. Or not.

I did adjust the handlebars as far down as they would go. That seems to help a little. I rode 400 miles on Saturday. My backside got sore, but the shoulder and neck pains were minimal.

Back