Starting to wonder if the Rocket is right for me...

crazyman

Supercharged
After putting 30k on this bike in the last year and a half, I'm starting to wonder if I'll keep this bike much longer. I love the ride and the power, but this bike is a 900 pound beast. I can't get comfortable despite trying new seats, risers, and screens. It's a little disappointing for me because I love the bike. I think I'm slowly coming to realize that 'cruisers' may not be the right bike for me. I've been looking at other bikes in the sport touring / 'adventure' design. Namely the Triumph Tiger 1050 and the BMW RT.

I'd planned on adding one of these bikes to the stable. I wonder though if I might not ride the Rocket as much with another bike that fits me better.:confused:

"I can't get comfortable despite trying new seats, risers, and screens. It's a little disappointing for me because I love the bike. I think I'm slowly coming to realize that 'cruisers' may not be the right bike for me. I've been looking at other bikes in the sport touring / 'adventure' design. Namely the Triumph Tiger 1050 and the BMW RT."

You just told my story. See my signature for current rides.

I bought my Tiger 1050 ABS while I had my R3T. My R3T didn't get much riding time since. Then, I test rode a Thunderbird and immediately bought one. That sealed it for me. I sold my R3T, haven't looked back, and don't miss it one bit.

I absolutely LOVE both of my current bikes. Both fit me like a glove without any mods to the ergos. Lesson learned, I'll never buy another bike that doesn't fit me from the start. Screw buying a bike with the assumption you can change the seat, bars, etc... to get it comfortable. Just buy one that fits from the get go! :)

I hear ya Daryl. I've seen and read a lot of your posts on the Tiger forums.

I'm afraid that the R3T would collect dust if I got the tiger. MIght only be used when then GF wants to go out for a ride. Yes, I know two up is doable on the tiger, but I'm not sure my gf would like the pillion.

Ideally, I'd like the Tiger for a solo ride and the RT for two up rides. That's my goal anyway, having two bikes.

My wife liked the R3T the best, but she is perfectly fine on my Tiger. Her only complaint is she doesn't like getting on and off because it's taller. She has M.S. and the Tiger being taller makes it a bit of a challenge getting her on sometimes. But once she's on and we're riding, she's fine. I put the top box on when she rides so she has a nice big backrest. Also, I just got a backrest for my Thunderbird for her so now she can ride whichever one she wants.

Daryl, just don't get her sunburned like that one time you came out to visit us in Pcola.

Dennis

09 dtg KAF
13 dtg Dubai
14 dtg Home
35 dtg Ray's

I rode about 300 miles yesterday in the Florida heat. Lot's of time to contemplate the Rocket and the things I'm not too happy with. Of course we have to compromise on things like bikes. No bike is 'perfect'.

I did see a black Tiger running through the Sugarloaf Mtn area. Two up. Wondered if it was somebody on this site. Stared at them as they went past. Almost turned around to follow them.

On the way home, I stopped by the local euro bike dealers, all sweaty and dirty from a long days ride. Looked at a BMW R1200 RT, and a Tiger again. Hmmmmmm.......starting up the internal dialogue, the obsessive internet searching, the scheming and planning.

So many bikes, so little money.

Oh well, I'll just have to wait til December or so to make a final decision. My head hurts.

Yeah, I know what it's like trying to think through it all. I'll tell ya, however, it's a good feeling once you find *the* one. I went through a few bikes before I got to my current stable. But, I'm finally REALLY HAPPY with my bikes. Of course, there's a couple of others I'd love to have, but they're strictly just *want* bikes; nothing to do with not liking my current rides.

The Rocket would be perfect if it was 150 lbs lighter. Too bad the T-Bird is just as big a hog as the Rocket. With less power. How'd they manage that?Quasi sport bikes like the Tiger and BMWs are no doubt nice, but not for 60+ geezers with bad knees and hips. The only comparable cruiser to the R3 but 150 lbs lighter, is the V-Rod.

Back