Starter relay issue? am i right?

Bazzo

Standard Bore
Ride
Rocket 3, R1, Panigale1299S
more often than not I press the starter button and I get a click, bit bike doesn't turn over..

I stick it in gear and rock it, then normally it will turn over and start, maybe have to rock it twice..

My initial thoughts were either battery or starter motor / solenoid
Fitted new battery anyway as I had one, still the same...
Swapped the starter motor with my mates.. still the same and my starter works fine in his bike..

So now ive ordered a new starter relay from triumph.. am I right in thinking this is going to cure it?
ive looked at the wiring diagram and cant think its anything else.. cant be the starter switch as it clicks every time o press it

If your ignition circuit - & headlights- are on, its probably not key-switch

Your clutch switch could be a problem - & this is often exacerbated by using an after market lever

Question - when you operate start button with clutch pulled- do headlights go off?

more often than not I press the starter button and I get a click, bit bike doesn't turn over..

I stick it in gear and rock it, then normally it will turn over and start, maybe have to rock it twice..

Swapped the starter motor with my mates.. still the same and my starter works fine in his bike..

So now ive ordered a new starter relay from triumph.. am I right in thinking this is going to cure it?
ive looked at the wiring diagram and cant think its anything else.. cant be the starter switch as it clicks every time o press it

Search for “the famous starter click” to see info on solving the click on my roadster. Triumph copper crimp terminals are sh!t. I found the female terminals inside the start relay holder needed to be removed and squashed a little bit with pliers to ensure they gave a good tight connection with the male spade terminal on the relay. I haven’t had a problem since I did this. Bad connection at the start relay stops a full 12v getting to the starter resulting in a click when the start solenoid closes but does not have enough voltage to turn the starter.

Dirty battery or earth terminals. Corroded lead to the starter or dirty dirty starter button all things that cost nothing but time to remove and clean, it illuminates those items then and costs ya nothing

I had the same problem and did all the upgrades including Ken’s keyless system and still had the occasional dreaded click.
replaced the relay and it hasn’t happened since!

Back