I have been fighting this same sporadic problem for 2 years. I have done the ground wire upgrade, cleaned all connections (several times)and this would work for a short period of time and then the problem would come back. I have also check the connector under the tank and the key switch, no issues there.
About a month ago I ordered one of those Toyota starters and switched out just the solenoid, bam have not had a problem since.
Cheers bud.

I have been fighting this same sporadic problem for 2 years. I have done the ground wire upgrade, cleaned all connections (several times)and this would work for a short period of time and then the problem would come back. I have also check the connector under the tank and the key switch, no issues there.
About a month ago I ordered one of those Toyota starters and switched out just the solenoid, bam have not had a problem since.
Which model starter motor did you get.

@DEcosse , I am a little bit confused. The Toyota starter motor fit the rocket starter casting but the selinoid plunger does not. There is a place in the UK that sells the selinod rebuild kit plunger springs and contacts. So cheap I ordered three kits. So is the motor bad or the selinoid plnger and contacts.

@DEcosse , I am a little bit confused. The Toyota starter motor fit the rocket starter casting but the selinoid plunger does not. There is a place in the UK that sells the selinod rebuild kit plunger springs and contacts. So cheap I ordered three kits. So is the motor bad or the selinoid plnger and contacts.
I've had a look this morning and as is I can't take it off, but the connector between solenoid and starter motor was very corroded and the retaining nut wasn't flat faced either , so cleaned the fitting and refitted with a new s/s flanged nut. Just have to see how it goes for now.Then have good strip down of the trike to get the starter off.
Cheers

@DEcosse , I am a little bit confused. ....
Sorry - I wasn't suggesting that the Toyota Starter Solenoids was necessarily swappable with the Triumph OEM one - just suggesting that the problem indeed was potentially down to the solenoid contacts and just relating anecdotal story of my own experience with a Toyota Starter. I do recall the posts where you swapped the Solenoid parts however.
You have to recognize these contacts switch a huge current and every operation causes some damage to the contacts.
There is actually a machining process called spark erosion or EDM - Electro Discharge Machining. @micromike1 can tell us a whole lot more about that!! :D

There is actually a machining process called spark erosion or EDM - Electro Discharge Machining. @micromike1 can tell us a whole lot more about that!! :D

Funny, I worked in a machine shop when I was 19 or so, they made punches and dies, my first day I asked how they drilled a square hole, the guy said I was the fastest person that ever asked that question, and took me back and showed me the EDM machine.

Sorry - I wasn't suggesting that the Toyota Starter Solenoids was necessarily swappable with the Triumph OEM one - just suggesting that the problem indeed was potentially down to the solenoid contacts and just relating anecdotal story of my own experience with a Toyota Starter. I do recall the posts where you swapped the Solenoid parts however.
You have to recognize these contacts switch a huge current and every operation causes some damage to the contacts.
I did look at swaping the contacts but the plunger is to long. So I just clean the copper contact areas with a file and ordered the new components from the UK cheap.

I did use the solenoid that came with the new starter. You only need to cut the plunger shaft to the same length as the original plunger shaft. And if you compare the two contact discs side by side, you will see the new disc is larger in diameter as are the contact pads. This means more contact area which should allow more current flow. Also, the wire connection lugs may not be in the same orientation, but there is enough slack in the wire to connect up. I'll post pics of my swap out.

Back