1098cracy

.060 Over
Ride
Rocket Roadster 2013
hi all, not been on site for some time now, but now in need of some help. When starting my rocket trike there is just a clicking noise !. So fitted new battery and all seemed fine. Then after good ride out, it was just clicking again. But after about 20 times engine turned over and started ok, Any body got any thoughts on this ?.
Cheers
Graham.

Hmmm....charging system fault? You might have an issue with the stator, or the rectifier/regulator.

hi all, not been on site for some time now, but now in need of some help. When starting my rocket trike there is just a clicking noise !. So fitted new battery and all seemed fine. Then after good ride out, it was just clicking again. But after about 20 times engine turned over and started ok, Any body got any thoughts on this ?.
Cheers
Graham.
Alternator is kicking 14.5 volts so thick that's ok. Going to attemp to pull it tomorrow to just check connection.etc.

Try turning the handle bars while trying to start - could be a bad connection at ignition switch or plug even a broken wire in between.
But I would start by checking ALL connections to the battery and stater motor positive and negative

I have been fighting this same sporadic problem for 2 years. I have done the ground wire upgrade, cleaned all connections (several times)and this would work for a short period of time and then the problem would come back. I have also check the connector under the tank and the key switch, no issues there.
About a month ago I ordered one of those Toyota starters and switched out just the solenoid, bam have not had a problem since.

... switched out just the solenoid, bam have not had a problem since.

That was going to be my suggestion.
Incidentally the ONLY failure I have had on my Lexus (Toyota) (other than normal wear parts) in 120.000 miles is the starter solenoid - must be a Toyota Starter trait!
What brain surgeon decided to put that UNDER the plenum (making a simple job a major event)

image.jpeg
That was going to be my suggestion.
Incidentally the ONLY failure I have had on my Lexus (Toyota) (other than normal wear parts) in 120.000 miles is the starter solenoid - must be a Toyota Starter trait!
What brain surgeon decided to put that UNDER the plenum (making a simple job a major event)
That's what I'm thinking switch the solenoid, but as its on my rocket trike it even harder to get to now, may have to strip the whole bloody thing apart.
Cheers

Back