Motortard

“Si vis pacem, para bellum”
Ride
Rocket 3 GT and 5 caged rides
Good Day Everyone, after around 300 miles I've noticed that my 2021 Rocket 3 is hard to launch from a stop. Almost as if the clutch engages too soon and engine stalls... When 1st test driving it 1st time I didn’t have this problem and while its warming up it drives well… Once its been running for an hour and half or longer I start to see the problem… I’ve reached out to the local dealer and mentioned to him that this is occurring and when we do our 1st 500 mile oil change (later this week), is there a friction modifier that we should consider… The Technician indicated that he had a few folks with a similar issue, but after the initial oil change it seemed to clear things up (I hope he’s right)… Has anyone else experienced this issue? As a side note, last Saturday was ~68f (low humidity) light traffic; I stalled 3 times at this one intersection facing down hill… When sitting at a Red Light I’ll put bike into neutral… I cant imagine I heat up the clutch much, as I engage very carefully… I had one car I put 200K miles on before I changed it's 1st clutch, so I think I understand how to use a clutch… Thank you for any help or advce!!!!

Good Day Everyone, after around 300 miles I've noticed that my 2021 Rocket 3 is hard to launch from a stop. Almost as if the clutch engages too soon and engine stalls... When 1st test driving it 1st time I didn’t have this problem and while its warming up it drives well… Once its been running for an hour and half or longer I start to see the problem… I’ve reached out to the local dealer and mentioned to him that this is occurring and when we do our 1st 500 mile oil change (later this week), is there a friction modifier that we should consider… The Technician indicated that he had a few folks with a similar issue, but after the initial oil change it seemed to clear things up (I hope he’s right)… Has anyone else experienced this issue? As a side note, last Saturday was ~68f (low humidity) light traffic; I stalled 3 times at this one intersection facing down hill… When sitting at a Red Light I’ll put bike into neutral… I cant imagine I heat up the clutch much, as I engage very carefully… I had one car I put 200K miles on before I changed it's 1st clutch, so I think I understand how to use a clutch… Thank you for any help or advce!!!!

It seems to me when someone posts a problem then about four say they have the same problem.
entirely possible the oil change will fix this problem also i would give it a few miles after change to see if it does the job keep us posted.

Thanks guys, appreciate your support… Will certainly update you and find out what oil they use too…

Hi Folks, picked up our Rocket GT last Friday evening. Had:
1) 1st oil change.
2) Shift Assist installed.
3) Bluetooth module installed.
4) OEM TPMS added…

Went for a long ride Sunday and I think the problem with launching when warm has been greatly helped… As a side bar, the shift assist is fantastic….

Now that you mentioned it. My 2020 Rocket takes more throttle and grey area clutch when launching either fast or slow. With the 2014 Rocket is was smooth and very light throttle. I use twice as much throttle and feather the clutch more on the 2020 when starting or the engine will lug or stall. It's not a big deal to me but now that I think about it and as TURBO200R4 stated someone else may have a similar problem. It isn't a problem although it doesn't seem right. I'll inquire about it on my next service in a few months.:thumbsup:

Last edited:
On my 2012 Roadster I barely open the throttle when engaging the clutch. Super smooth engagement taking off from a light. Most of the fellows riding Harleys blip the throttle multiple times then let the clutch slip to start moving but mine.... almost like I'm in silent mode... I don't think I've stalled the bike from a dead start for over a year and that was when I tried to take off in 2nd. That engine has more torque idling than my America had at full power.

Thanks Guys... Your points got me to wondering... Just did some quick research... If its true, the Rocket III has a 41 / 14 (2.929) ratio and the Rocket 3 has 43 / 18 (2.389) ratio... Looks like the Rocket 3 has taller 1st gear. ratio... Might make it a little harder to launch at lower RPM's...

Back