Darron1117

Supercharged
Ride
2012 Triumph Rocket III Roadster
Hello all,
Need a little help. I own a 2012 Roadster and changed the grips out last week so I had to loosen the throttle cables for the install. Once grips on and housing back together I started the bike and it began shuddering and hesitating like fuel is cutting out. Once it warms up, it is much better and almost normal. Could loosening and re-adjusting the cables have caused rhis? Now, when I hit the starter when cold it cranks then immediately dies. Once re-started it stampers for a few minutes till warmed up
Need you expert advise
Thanks in advance

You need to have some free play in the throttle cables. Since the bike ran fine before you adjusted things, recheck. Where did you make the adjustment to the cables? At the throttle body? Is it possible you disconnected something, like the TPS??? A vacuum line??? I might be wrong, but I thing a lack of freeplay on the cables will prevent the idle speed controller from moving the throttle the few degrees it usually does to control idle.

Attachments

• 1668015703109.png
    1668015703109.png
    81.9 KB · Views: 5
No sir, they are Avon grips.
You need to have some free play in the throttle cables. Since the bike ran fine before you adjusted things, recheck. Where did you make the adjustment to the cables? At the throttle body? Is it possible you disconnected something, like the TPS??? A vacuum line??? I might be wrong, but I thing a lack of freeplay on the cables will prevent the idle speed controller from moving the throttle the few degrees it usually does to control idle.
Gregger, made adjustments to the cables. only touched cable housing on handlebars, didn't touch throttle body. I have cable freeplay, also.

Ok then. Are the Avon grips you installed heated? If so, how did you wire them up? Did you remove the fuel tank? If so, I'd look to see if anything was unplugged under the tank.

This is the inside of the housing. Is the loose connector just for heated grips it was hanging free when I opened housing. 20221109_171810.jpg 20221109_170527.jpg

I'm wondering if you caused a short on the clutch wires. The symptoms don't sound right, but considering that you were working in that area it might be worth a look. It's a POS switch.

IF so, you'll be able to start the bike without pulling in the clutch (and after fueling the indicator will quit working properly). Anyway, easy to check....

Hello all,
Need a little help. I own a 2012 Roadster and changed the grips out last week so I had to loosen the throttle cables for the install. Once grips on and housing back together I started the bike and it began shuddering and hesitating like fuel is cutting out. Once it warms up, it is much better and almost normal. Could loosening and re-adjusting the cables have caused rhis? Now, when I hit the starter when cold it cranks then immediately dies. Once re-started it stampers for a few minutes till warmed up
Need you expert advise
Thanks in advance

Back