Stalling Rockets...

Toystoretom

Living Legend
There have been a few reports of Rockets stalling or just dying in traffic. This may not have anything to do with those reports but mine stalled Saturday and I have a pretty good idea why. My low fuel light was on, and I was sitting on about 175 miles on the tripmeter. I came into a parking lot kinda fast and had to brake hard and the bike died. I'm pretty sure the small amout of fuel I had in the tank simply sloshed away from the pickup on the electric fuel pump. I simply pulled in the clutch to roll into the parking lot and then let the clutch back out and roll started it. It fired right back up and ran just fine. In fact, I put about another ten miles on it before I hit a gas station. Fuel injection needs that fuel pressure, if it doesn't get it they die rather quickly... just keep her full.:D

Did I mention my idle and stalling problems have dissapeared since I had the Tuneboy modified 20050 tune installed and got rid of the nasty Triumph 20054 tune! ;) Very happy camper indeed!!!

Still looses idle even with tuneboy...

Hey guys, i installed the tuneboy and the bike still wouldnt idle, sent wayne an email and he sent me some instructions on how to reset. It worked right away, but only lasted around 500 miles. But i can reset myself now so dont have to go to dealer to do it, only takes around 10 minutes to do. Let dealer know i am still having problems and they need to come up with a fix. :confused:

Did I mention my idle and stalling problems have dissapeared since I had the Tuneboy modified 20050 tune installed and got rid of the nasty Triumph 20054 tune! ;) Very happy camper indeed!!!

Did I mention my rough idle problems are back! :mad: This is an ongoing and re-occurring problem... I believe that many Rockets are having similar problems! :confused:

That's interesting. We have had zero luck using Tuneboy to help idle quality... in fact, most of the time it makes the idle worse when we make changes. But don't read too much into that... you have to figure the skill level of the two morons making the adjustments... there is a pic of us above in this very thread :D....

Seriously... the only thing that works that I have found is adjusting the mechanical throttle stop that I wrote about in my little techy article. I don't care what all the "experts" say about it... It fixes it and gives you a rock solid idle at all times. If we have to wait for the "experts" to come up with a fix for this I'll be taking a dirt nap.....:eek:

Today I pulled the tank off and finally got around to reconnecting the 02 sensor and taking off the now 'zero' mapped PCIII. Instantly my idle was better and the mighty red beast was purring like a ***** cat again. :D On top of that, Wayne from Tuneboy has posted me an idle fix so i will put that up tomor when I am back at work (emails are at my work email!)

How to get idle back, even if its temporary...

Here are the instructions that Wayne gave me from Tuneboy.

Try the following process.

Start TuneBoy (Ignition on but motor not running)
Go to the sensors page.
Click the "Reset ISCV" button.
The TPS voltage should drop to .60 volts (+/- .02 is ok)
Click the Reset ISCV again and the voltage should increase by .12 volts.
Click the Reset ISCV again and the idle stepper adaptation will take place.
After the 15 seconds of the adaptation you should click the "Reset Adapt" button.

If you bike does not match the figures above and still idles rough you should do the following.

Follow the procedure above.
When it tells you the TPS should read .60 you can adjust the Throttle position sensor on the end of the throttle bodies, this is the sensor on the end of the throttle shaft (right hand side as you face the throttle body).
Release the screw and turn until you see .58 to .60 volts on the TPS in TuneBoy.
Tighten the screws back up.
Now go to the next step in the procedure.
If the voltage did not rise by .12 volts you should adjust the idle stepper push rod until the voltage is .12 above the last value, (if you set to .60 in the last step then you should adjust to .72).
To adjust this you release the lock nut on the end of the idle stepper plunger, adjust to get the correct voltage.
When the voltage is correct you should complete the adjustment procedure.

If the bike is still rough at idle you should sync the throttle bodies.
Start the bike and go to the "Tests" screen in TuneBoy.
The three values displayed are the manifold pressure in each throttle body.
Adjust the throttle sync screws on the throttle bodies to try and get the values as close as you can.

If you follow these steps the bike should have a smooth idle.
At the moment I don't have any pictures showing this procedure but I will try and do a tutorial showing how this is done.

I will be adding the ability to adjust the idle speed once it is fully tested, but the problem you have will most likely be solved by the procedure above.

Good luck.

Back