Something Failed, let’s find it! Transmission Analysis.

Below is a properly installed bearing on the front of the torsional damper shaft. The seal should face the rear because it gets oil from the transmission. Commonly they were installed arse backwards at the factory. The rear bearing (old style) has only one seal; it is towards the rear also (so oil doesn't leave the engine thru the drive shaft galley). The new replacement rear bearing is double sealed and packed with grease -- because the Triumph engineers thought oil would migrate back there by osmosis. Very stupid. So they changed to a sealed unit with grease. I suggest you do the same while its open.

VZM.IMG_20161229_115430.jpg
I ordered replacement housing and brgs. for damper shaft, they haven't arrived yet. To be certain I understand, the plastic sealed rear brg. on input shaft the seal goes against case and against oil hole. Thanks for you help and quick response.

I ordered replacement housing and brgs. for damper shaft, they haven't arrived yet. To be certain I understand, the plastic sealed rear brg. on input shaft the seal goes against case and against oil hole. Thanks for you help and quick response.
After reading your response, does that mean they have a new double sealed packed bearing for rear of input shaft. Again thank you.

I'm not sure you guys are on the same page. Warp was talking about the torsional damper shaft, that sticks out of the back of the engine. I believe Gerald is talking about the input/output shafts inside the engine cases. I don't remember any of the internal shafts bearings having seals/shields. I looked through my pictures and can't see any. Gerald, can you post some pics of the bearings your talking about and where they go ? That will give us a better shot at helping.

Gerald - i think you are talking about the bearings on the ends of the in/out shafts. If so the open side of the besrings should be facing the gears once installed. They rely on the oil splashing aroundcto keep them lubed

I'm not sure you guys are on the same page. Warp was talking about the torsional damper shaft, that sticks out of the back of the engine. I believe Gerald is talking about the input/output shafts inside the engine cases. I don't remember any of the internal shafts bearings having seals/shields. I looked through my pictures and can't see any. Gerald, can you post some pics of the bearings your talking about and where they go ? That will give us a better shot at helping.
You're correct, the questions I have are about input shaft primarily. On mine there is a bearing that goes into rear of engine block upper case, it has a black plastic shield and rear input shaft slides into it. On the other side of the case, is the transitional shaft and bearings. Both of these bearing cavity have a oil hole that appears to be fed by the oil tank, by way of drilled passage in uppercase and a channel in lower case. I've looked in my shop manual and parts breakdown and this bearing is not shown. I'd love to send a picture but don't know how. Sorry, not much help. I've got a few things I have to do this morning, then I will go back to garage. I'll call the dealer, and maybe they can tell where to find picture of this bearing. Thanks for your help.

You're correct, the questions I have are about input shaft primarily. On mine there is a bearing that goes into rear of engine block upper case, it has a black plastic shield and rear input shaft slides into it. On the other side of the case, is the transitional shaft and bearings. Both of these bearing cavity have a oil hole that appears to be fed by the oil tank, by way of drilled passage in uppercase and a channel in lower case. I've looked in my shop manual and parts breakdown and this bearing is not shown. I'd love to send a picture but don't know how. Sorry, not much help. I've got a few things I have to do this morning, then I will go back to garage. I'll call the dealer, and maybe they can tell where to find picture of this bearing. Thanks for your help.
I can take pictures with my phone, but don't know how to transfer to this page, probably takes some kind of a program to do that.

Gerald - i think you are talking about the bearings on the ends of the in/out shafts. If so the open side of the besrings should be facing the gears once installed. They rely on the oil splashing aroundcto keep them lubed
That makes sense, but there is an oil hole in upper case that looks like feed oil from oil tank. I'll check again later this morning. Thanks

After reading your response, does that mean they have a new double sealed packed bearing for rear of input shaft. Again thank you.
OK ,no I was referring to the Torsional damper shaft the new replacement you ordered should come double sealed and packed with grease. it is the only bearing in the engine packed with grease. So there are only two transmission shafts the input which has the clutch on it and the out put shaft which has the Helical gear on it. most of the bearing have some type of pin location or snap ring . below is a picture of the lower case upside down and you can see the two front bearing orientation.
Bearing direction.jpg

the rear bearing on the out put shaft by the helical gear. notice the oil hole in the bearing bore above the gear that why you should have no seal on the front of the torsional damper shaft you can see where it gets its oil.

05rearview output shaft.jpg

which leaves the rear bearing on the input shaft is a smaller one as the nose of the shaft is under a inch. it should still be installed as it stays in the case when you pull the shaft. but if you pulled it out you should be able to look in the block and see if there is a little oil feed hole in the bearing bore if so you do not want a seal blocking the oil flow so the seal goes towards the inside of the block.

Hopefully this helps If not I have to run out for about a hour and a half I will check when I get back.

Back