Something Failed, let’s find it! Transmission Analysis.

OK ,no I was referring to the Torsional damper shaft the new replacement you ordered should come double sealed and packed with grease. it is the only bearing in the engine packed with grease. So there are only two transmission shafts the input which has the clutch on it and the out put shaft which has the Helical gear on it. most of the bearing have some type of pin location or snap ring . below is a picture of the lower case upside down and you can see the two front bearing orientation.
Bearing direction.jpg

the rear bearing on the out put shaft by the helical gear. notice the oil hole in the bearing bore above the gear that why you should have no seal on the front of the torsional damper shaft you can see where it gets its oil.

05rearview output shaft.jpg

which leaves the rear bearing on the input shaft is a smaller one as the nose of the shaft is under a inch. it should still be installed as it stays in the case when you pull the shaft. but if you pulled it out you should be able to look in the block and see if there is a little oil feed hole in the bearing bore if so you do not want a seal blocking the oil flow so the seal goes towards the inside of the block.

Hopefully this helps If not I have to run out for about a hour and a half I will check when I get back.
Your pictures were great, Output shaft at top figured that was correct, the bottom picture is input shaft that I was in question about. Saw the small hole and figured was an oil feed for this bearing, and the open bearing on torsion shaft. Those two bearings go back to back separated by rear upper housing. Spent a couple anxious nights trying to think what they were thinking. Could see that reasoning, and thought again if turned the other way with seal would allow leakage in and restrict oil loss. Thanks for clearing up my dilemma. Appreciate yours and everyone's help. Figure you went the extra mile.

Your pictures were great, Output shaft at top figured that was correct, the bottom picture is input shaft that I was in question about. Saw the small hole and figured was an oil feed for this bearing, and the open bearing on torsion shaft. Those two bearings go back to back separated by rear upper housing. Spent a couple anxious nights trying to think what they were thinking. Could see that reasoning, and thought again if turned the other way with seal would allow leakage in and restrict oil loss. Thanks for clearing up my dilemma. Appreciate yours and everyone's help. Figure you went the extra mile.
No problem, hope it works out if ya get stuck just holler up, we will answer, thats what the site is about, since everytine we post titties they get took down :D

Root Cause Analysis Post:

Reserving this post for the end when I find what the root cause was.

Original Working theory (wrong):
Bent a shift fork, leading to circlip migration, leading to trying to be in two gears at once, leading output shaft shifting forward slightly, moving the clutch basket, leading to the scoring on it.

Current Theory, Supported by damage analysis:
3rd Gear circlip was not in it's groove.

What caused 3rd gear's circlip to jump out of the groove, now there's the question. The direction it moves when it's forced out of the groove is in the direction of a 5th to 4th downshift (3/4 share a input gear), and that is the only normal movement that can cause side loads onto 3rd gear. Side load could also be generated in a failed 4-5 upshift if the dogs bounced instead of engaging when you shifted. I've never had a failed 4-5 up shift, so I can only conclude that being heavy footed in 5 to 4 downshifts is the cause, as there is no other normal action in the transmission that could possibly cause the circlip to get pushed.

Unless one of the much smarter guys here knows something I don't about how this whole apparatus works, I consider the mystery solved.

CAUSE:

Lead foot 5-4 downshifts = dislocated 3rd gear circlip = wobbling third and fourth ouput gear = time bomb waiting to explode when and if 3rd wobbles.
not due to the quickshifter too ?

Just as well there are no golf balls on an inlet port. **** that is complicated. I can get 240rwhp on a rocket, with 10.5 comp, 1 3/4" od headers and 450 lift cams and Max rpm 8000, no dimples, not much science. All we need is a customer to pay for it. Not so many people here in oz. ....
But in America you got clients :thumbsup: Lush Racing #1

Back