Since Triumph N.A. said they wouldn't...

f15epilot

Standard Bore
I know some prefer the more 'clean' look; I wanted a bit fuller look with more storage for LONGGG trips. At Daytona, I asked the Triumph North America VP if they were ever going to market a full-fairing & trunk for the Rocket...got a flat, 'go away' "Not going to happen" along with some b.s. about how a fairing would alter the handling and make the Rocket unstable. Also asked about the chances of them offering the new 2010 exhaust for earlier models...same, go away you're bothering me response. So, I made my own version of a Rocket Glide (or Road Rocket, if you will). Took about four weeks to fabricate five brackets which let you mount a standard Road Glide fairing and tourpack to the Rocket using stock hardware.

Custom paint by AirbrushDaytona at the Republic of Texas Rally (Austin) a couple weeks back. And for the Triumph VP...it's stable at 80mph in 35mph wind gusts; stereo is easy to hear at highway speeds; wife is happy to have the bigger backrest and more space. Now to upgrade the seat akin to a LePerra (higher/thicker in the rear for the passenger; more lumbar support for me), add the GPS display, and add a better stereo. Yeah, I'm moving the license plate up, too. Then, to find some hard bags that hinge outward, not up/forward.

Just in time for Florida summertime riding, like Peterson's Key West and Thunder Beach...:)

Attachments

• Rocket Glide Front Emblem.jpg
    Rocket Glide Front Emblem.jpg
    50.5 KB · Views: 779
  • Rocket Glide Front quarter.jpg
    Rocket Glide Front quarter.jpg
    74.2 KB · Views: 732
  • Rocket Glide Rear.jpg
    Rocket Glide Rear.jpg
    66.8 KB · Views: 733
Is this Road Glide fairing fixed like a stock HD Roadglide?

I fabricated a bracket similar to the HD fork bracket. It attaches to the bolt holes that hold the plastic covers in place--even used those same bolts. The left side of the bike has a second bolt hole tapped and threaded, but not used (at least on my '07). I drilled and tapped a similar one on the right (starboard) side and used two bolts for a bottom arm on each side; one bolt for a top arm. Like the HD bracket, there are two arms per side.

I removed the headlights (obviously) and the headlight brackets, along with the chrome trim around the ignition key. I left key there as there's a good bit of room. The trick was bringing the 'arms' that attach to the frame within the swing of the fork tubes, then bring the whole assembly out to a point at the right vertical angle to hold the RG fairing--it uses four bolts that sandwich the inner fairing between the inner frame piece and the radio bracket (which is stock HD). Took some trim/mount/trim/mount to get the fairing at the right angle to the ground and far enough up/back to mate to the tank. The lowers mount with stock HD crash bar mounts, though I trimmed the plastic radiator shroud with a notch for those mounts. I'll snap some pics tomorrow in the light.

Supposed to meet with the local Triumph dealer and talk about producing a kit (the five brackets, bolts, instructions). Previous post said HD makes good glass. They do, indeed. And there are a host of accessories you can add (like Hog Tunes, handle-bar mounted sound controls, speakers front/back, radios of all sorts, gauges, etc), most of which do NOT have HD on them.

Got the leather; ordered the temperfoam; now tackling the seat to build up the pax end. Pics to follow.

That is a great job. Now if you can find some similar side bags it'll be all set. It is a shame that Triumph didn't go for a full tourer version of this bike. That engine is begging to be done up for full, long range, comfortable touring. It is like they kind of stepped up to the plate but went for a bunt instead of hitting a homerun (I am referring to the R3T).

Those of us who have taken the long trips have had to modify the bike accordingly with beetle bags, travel soft luggage on the luggage rack or some kind of luggage behind the back rest and the sissy bar. It could be such a better, cleaner set up if they (Triumph) worked on it more.

Not sure if it would have ever replaced the Gold Wing but for power and torque with all the fix'ins (fairing, trunk...they've got the saddle bags just fine), with a decent stereo and cruise control they would be a great competitor.

Guess we'll have to wait or move on...

Dennis

30 dtg KAF
35 dtg Dubai
36 dtg Home
57 dtg Ray's

Back