Shorty on '05 Rocket

mbdean55

.020 Over
Hello new to the forums here and new to my Rocket as well. Owned it a little over a month and all I can say is I will never own any other bike. (besides a newer one of course) :) Anyway, I was looking at getting the shorty exhaust from newr3.com and was curious will I run in to any problems with my '05 Rocket? From what I can tell the '05 is identical to the '06 and up "classic" besides some exterior modifications, foot pegs etc. I know a lot of add ons for the rocket like on BritishCustoms.com and so on say either classic or touring model. I just don't wanna have any headaches. Thanks in advance. Keep the rubber side down. :)

*on a side note any opinions on the shorty? I was looking at that and the Thunderbike exhaust from NZ also

Welcome to the site. Glad you're enjoying the bike. They absolutely do ruin you for anything else - although some poor fellow on here lost his mind and bought a Goldwing. (G'day Ray ;))

The shorty exhaust sure costs a lot for not very much and if it robs torque, well, what's the point. I rode a Classic with Thunderbike 2 pipe set up (both on one side) and it felt very strong and sounded pretty good too. If you're choosing between those 2 it seems a no brainer. BUT, there's plenty of other options available. TORs, sometimes derided because they aren't the sweetest sounding, are pretty cheap, retain the original 3 pipe look and (in my experience) give you a good increase in torque, if not that much in hp. On the downside, you also need a cat eliminator to make the most of them and that adds to the cost. At least with the other 2 you mentioned you do away with that altogether (reducing weight as well as overall cost).

Do a bit of research on here and/or shop around; you'll surely find something you like.

I had a whole other idea in my head of where this topic was going when I read the title...
I expected to open it up and see a midget riding a Rocket...... :eek:

I would not waste my time on that pipe unless you want to lose power. If so just stuff a couple potato's in your your pipes and save the money.
You should look for a set of used Jardines or maybe a set of predators.

If your in the USA this would be easy to accomplish I know a guy that has both:D

Thanks everyone helpful feedback. Yea I don't want to loose power that just isn't the Rocket way. :cool: How do the jardine pipes sound? They aren't slip ons correct? I've watched a couple of youtube videos with them but certainly doesn't do them justice I'm sure. Plus when you shove the camera 2 inches from the exhaust it certainly doesn't help anything. I'm unaware of the predators though?

Back