Secondaries..what the consensus?

snicrep

Supercharged
Ride
08 r3 touring
There seems to be 2 camps on the subject of open secondaries. Im currently running 100% open but havent been too impressed. (Tors, ramair) . im going to enter stock settings back and compare is my solution. But it seems theres factions that feel equaly strong about each alternative.

I'm running a 2012 Roadster with Tors and RamAir with a modified Hanso tune which gives 5% extra fuel. The secondaries have been open 100% in all settings. Before I installed Hanso's tune, I was running the stock Triumph 20355 Tor tune with secondaries set to 100% and noticed a bog when the throttle was suddenly open in a higher gear. Backing off the throttle a slight bit during acceleration helped reduce the bogging condition. Also, not snapping open the throttle did the same. I also had a lot of decel popping which I hated. With Hanso's tune (+5% fuel) the decel popping was virtually eliminated (probably because of the extra fuel) and a lot of the mid range bog disappeared. It is still there though but to a lesser degree. I think this would probably disappear if I turned the secondaries back to stock settings because the bogging condition seems to only take place at full throttle in a higher gear. I think the secondaries being partially closed would help eliminate this condition by slightly restricting air flow providing a richer mixture in higher torque settings. I'm not a tune expert but I imagine a good tuner could do the same thing with a dyno.... unfortunately there are non close to where I live. This summer, I'll turn them back on to see what the butt difference is.

By the way, my plugs are a nice tan colour so things aren't overly rich in the traditional sense.

I'm running a 2012 Roadster with Tors and RamAir with a modified Hanso tune which gives 5% extra fuel. The secondaries have been open 100% in all settings. Before I installed Hanso's tune, I was running the stock Triumph 20355 Tor tune with secondaries set to 100% and noticed a bog when the throttle was suddenly open in a higher gear. Backing off the throttle a slight bit during acceleration helped reduce the bogging condition. Also, not snapping open the throttle did the same. I also had a lot of decel popping which I hated. With Hanso's tune (+5% fuel) the decel popping was virtually eliminated (probably because of the extra fuel) and a lot of the mid range bog disappeared. It is still there though but to a lesser degree. I think this would probably disappear if I turned the secondaries back to stock settings because the bogging condition seems to only take place at full throttle in a higher gear. I think the secondaries being partially closed would help eliminate this condition by slightly restricting air flow providing a richer mixture in higher torque settings. I'm not a tune expert but I imagine a good tuner could do the same thing with a dyno.... unfortunately there are non close to where I live. This summer, I'll turn them back on to see what the butt difference is.

By the way, my plugs are a nice tan colour so things aren't overly rich in the traditional sense.
Is there a number for that hanso tune? Im using 20368. I just recently set the f/t to 3 across the board. Ive never had any bad popping just a pleasant burble on decel. Id like to search for a tuner with dyno but im 3 5 hrs away from san antonio and houston. If theres a tuner there.

Is there a number for that hanso tune? Im using 20368. I just recently set the f/t to 3 across the board. Ive never had any bad popping just a pleasant burble on decel. Id like to search for a tuner with dyno but im 3 5 hrs away from san antonio and houston. If theres a tuner there.
I see four tuners in Houston and two in San Antonio.
Power Commander Tuning Center | Dynojet

IIRC my secondaries are not completely open until after 1500 RPM. Low RPM control. I am the original owner of the commonly referred to "Nels Tune".

bob

One more opinion
I think they might be of some use.
I set mine at 100 percent above 3500
And left them about the same below that.i have tors and it has always run good (except when throttle plates get sticky every couple years)
Mine has loud poping on decel 2000-1500 and if i do not want the bang i pull in clutch. I definatly do not want to drown the engine with gas to stop the banging. jmo

I'm from the take um out and toss um group. Mine have been gone over 10 years. No popping, no bogging, and if you can the throttle at walking speed you can show your friends your oil pan 😁

Just to check i thought u had to keep them connected or it would set codes?

Back