What would cause injectors not to open/close? Bad ECU? Please read!

audisport44

Standard Bore
Ride
2018 Thruxton 1200R, 2005 Rocket III
Hello, just joined!

321749466_537389208299369_2192587213477548994_n.jpg

My main ride is a 2018 Thruxton 1200R, but recently acquired a 2005 Rocket III.

The bike only has 3k miles and is mint. Problem is, it sat for 5 years without running. It was covered in an attached garage so it didn't sit outside. No corrosion.
I changed the oil, oil filter, cleaned the spark plugs, lubed the cylinders, put fresh gas in it and changed the battery. I got it to crank just fine but wouldn't start.

I checked the pump and it wasn't priming. Took it out and found out it was seized. Replaced it and now it primes. I confirmed that fuel comes out of the tank line and into the fuel rail. Still no start. I also confirmed that I'm getting spark.
Took the injectors out and couldn't get fuel through them when applying 12V. They've been professionally cleaned and flow tested now, and confirmed that they were seized before. Still, the bike won't start.

I replaced the fuel pressure regulator and its O-ring (was crumbling). There's more residual pressure in the fuel line now but still no start.
There's absolutely no fuel coming out of the injectors, and I don't think I hear them clicking when turning the bike over. I applied 12V directly to one injector (while disconnected) and it clicks, opens up and lets fuel through while the bike cranks.

So, it seems that the injector drivers in the ECU aren't working. I've traced the injector wires from the injectors connectors to the ECU and there's continuity.
All the fuses are good and the relays click.
The previous owner says the bike ran when it was parked and that there's no added alarm on the bike.

Before I buy an ECU, is there anything else I should look at? And is the ECU a known failure point on these bikes, especially after they sit for extended periods of time?

Thank you and Merry Christmas!!!

WELCOME! to our R3 Family Forum... and I'll let folks with more technical knowledge reply. I actually haven't heard of an ECU failure from a bike sitting. I'll be following this closely as you hunt down the culprit...
-MIG

Sounds like you're on the right track with your problem solving. Doing well so far
ECU failures are not common ime.

Is there a Power Commander or any other piggyback fueling gizmo on the bike?

Have you checked for 12v on the injector plugs on the throttle body sub harness?

Have you got a check engine light?
Have you got TuneECU? Apart from viewing injector pulse times with it you can check & clear fault codes, and ensure ECU is largely working correctly, takes & reads a map etc.

Have you performed the tests as per manual?

Screenshot_20221226-103045_Drive.jpg

i may be reading post wrong but
the ecu sends 12 volts to the coils and injectors then the ecu grounds each coil and each injector so the ecu must have crank signal.

Hello, just joined!

321749466_537389208299369_2192587213477548994_n.jpg

My main ride is a 2018 Thruxton 1200R, but recently acquired a 2005 Rocket III.

The bike only has 3k miles and is mint. Problem is, it sat for 5 years without running. It was covered in an attached garage so it didn't sit outside. No corrosion.
I changed the oil, oil filter, cleaned the spark plugs, lubed the cylinders, put fresh gas in it and changed the battery. I got it to crank just fine but wouldn't start.

I checked the pump and it wasn't priming. Took it out and found out it was seized. Replaced it and now it primes. I confirmed that fuel comes out of the tank line and into the fuel rail. Still no start. I also confirmed that I'm getting spark.
Took the injectors out and couldn't get fuel through them when applying 12V. They've been professionally cleaned and flow tested now, and confirmed that they were seized before. Still, the bike won't start.

I replaced the fuel pressure regulator and its O-ring (was crumbling). There's more residual pressure in the fuel line now but still no start.
There's absolutely no fuel coming out of the injectors, and I don't think I hear them clicking when turning the bike over. I applied 12V directly to one injector (while disconnected) and it clicks, opens up and lets fuel through while the bike cranks.

So, it seems that the injector drivers in the ECU aren't working. I've traced the injector wires from the injectors connectors to the ECU and there's continuity.
All the fuses are good and the relays click.
The previous owner says the bike ran when it was parked and that there's no added alarm on the bike.

Before I buy an ECU, is there anything else I should look at? And is the ECU a known failure point on these bikes, especially after they sit for extended periods of time?

Thank you and Merry Christmas!!!
You have the kickstand up?

Bike has sat for 5 years so that's around 2017 and it's a 2005 with only 3000 miles in 12 years? I gotta feeling it's far from an ECU problem. Are you sure it ever ran?

Back