What would cause injectors not to open/close? Bad ECU? Please read!

Sounds like you're on the right track with your problem solving. Doing well so far

ECU failures are not common ime.

Is there a Power Commander or any other piggyback fueling gizmo on the bike?

Have you checked for 12v on the injector plugs on the throttle body sub harness?

Have you got a check engine light?

Have you got TuneECU? Apart from viewing injector pulse times with it you can check & clear fault codes, and ensure ECU is largely working correctly, takes & reads a map etc.

Have you performed the tests as per manual?

Hello,

The bike is all stock with no power commander, alarm or any other added accessories.

how much will you sale it for?
where are you located?
I'm not selling it until it runs right. Located right near Washington D.C.

Get your injectors sonically cleaned properly. I bet they weren't done well.
They were cleaned and flow tested professionally, as I've mentioned. I have the printout that shows the performance of each injector. This guy specializes in this and I've worked with him before. He's got flawless feedback!

Bike has sat for 5 years so that's around 2017 and it's a 2005 with only 3000 miles in 12 years? I gotta feeling it's far from an ECU problem. Are you sure it ever ran?
Yes, some guys buy bikes and barely ride them. My Thruxton hardly has any miles on it because it sits most of the time. As a matter of fact all bikes I've purchased were about 3k miles or below, no matter the year, and were mint like this one. Plenty bikes out there sitting unused.

Sounds like you're on the right track with your problem solving. Doing well so far
ECU failures are not common ime.

Is there a Power Commander or any other piggyback fueling gizmo on the bike?

Have you checked for 12v on the injector plugs on the throttle body sub harness?

Have you got a check engine light?
Have you got TuneECU? Apart from viewing injector pulse times with it you can check & clear fault codes, and ensure ECU is largely working correctly, takes & reads a map etc.

Have you performed the tests as per manual?

Screenshot_20221226-103045_Drive.jpg
The bike is all stock. There's no power commander or any added immobilizer. No other accessories either.

Thank you for the attachments! I've gone through all the steps you provided and everything checked out.
The injector OHM reading was a little low, between 11.2 to 11.4. Manual states 12.5 to 14. Not sure if this is low enough to cause an issue.

I do have TuneECU, just haven't used it in a long time. I had to update it and register it on my new phone. Unfortunately there were no error codes at all; I've checked numerous times. I'm attaching a screen shot of the injector pulse time.

So far I cannot find anything wrong no matter how much I look. All the wires look good, everything I've tested has continuity, and there are no shorts or open circuits. Fuses are all good, relays click, pump comes on etc.

Yesterday I started looking for crank and cam angle sensors. There's one on the bottom of the block by the driveshaft. It was a little gunky so I cleaned it off. Not sure if that's what made a difference but I got some sputters out of the bike yesterday and was actually able to start it up with a little help from ether. It wouldn't idle and I had to rev it to about 2k rpm to keep it going. Never got any better so I quit.

Today I decided to completely drain the tank and put fresh gas in it. I couldn't get it all out last time when I added gas to it. It won't even sputter today. I also took out the crank angle sensor on the very bottom of the bike. It had some shavings on it so I cleaned that up too. No difference.

**The screen shot is from today**

Any other thoughts?

P.S. I don't have a manual.

Attachments

• Screenshot_20221229_160945_TuneECU.jpg
    Screenshot_20221229_160945_TuneECU.jpg
    49.7 KB · Views: 20
Last edited:
Yes, some guys buy bikes and barely ride them. My Thruxton hardly has any miles on it because it sits most of the time. As a matter of fact all bikes I've purchased were about 3k miles or below, no matter the year, and were mint like this one. Plenty bikes out there sitting unused.
I got one better my first Bonneville was 3 years old and had 47 miles on it.

The bike is all stock. There's no power commander or any added immobilizer. No other accessories either.

Thank you for the attachments! I've gone through all the steps you provided and everything checked out.
The injector OHM reading was a little low, between 11.2 to 11.4. Manual states 12.5 to 14. Not sure if this is low enough to cause an issue.

I do have TuneECU, just haven't used it in a long time. I had to update it and register it on my new phone. Unfortunately there were no error codes at all; I've checked numerous times. I'm attaching a screen shot of the injector pulse time.

So far I cannot find anything wrong no matter how much I look. All the wires look good, everything I've tested has continuity, and there are no shorts or open circuits. Fuses are all good, relays click, pump comes on etc.

Yesterday I started looking for crank and cam angle sensors. There's one on the bottom of the block by the driveshaft. It was a little gunky so I cleaned it off. Not sure if that's what made a difference but I got some sputters out of the bike yesterday and was actually able to start it up with a little help from ether. It wouldn't idle and I had to rev it to about 2k rpm to keep it going. Never got any better so I quit.

Today I decided to completely drain the tank and put fresh gas in it. I couldn't get it all out last time when I added gas to it. It won't even sputter today. I also took out the crank angle sensor on the very bottom of the bike. It had some shavings on it so I cleaned that up too. No difference.

**The screen shot is from today**

Any other thoughts?

P.S. I don't have a manual.
Have you checked & set your tps...

I have not. Do you have a good link for it?
You set it using tuneecu, normally to 0.6v
Go to adjustments & tps, turn your primary tps on right side throttle bodies till it's set at 0.6v, then dont forget to reset adaptions.
Haven't done it for a while so there is many on here that will help.

You set it using tuneecu, normally to 0.6v
Go to adjustments & tps, turn your primary tps on right side throttle bodies till it's set at 0.6v, then dont forget to reset adaptions.
Haven't done it for a while so there is many on here that will help.
Also tps could be shot. Later ones have blue internals & older black. You will have to take it out to check that.

Back