Second Triumph, first Rocket

kellyw1

Standard Bore
Howdy from Corpus Christi, Texas
New to this site, I hope someone can reassure me. Just bought a 2011 roadster from a dealer in San Antonio. Love the bike. It looks good in the garage next to my 2006 Bonneville T-100. However, on my first 500 mile service, the dealership told me that my brake light was intermittently staying on. They couldn't trace the problem, so they had to order a new wiring harness from the UK. Has anyone else had a similar problem?

Well, take this for what it's worth (who knows, it could be the same part) but back in 2003 my 2002 America rear brake light was "sticking" on. Faulty rear brake switch. I unplugged it until I could make it to the dealership for a replacement (under warranty).

No on the brake light problem,
first I've heard of that one.
Welcome to the forum and I'm sure you'll like your bike
once you get that gremlin chased out...
Glad to have you with us and Welcome again,
from the right side of the RED River....;)
skip
in Oklahoma:eek::D

I have no clue on the brake light, but wanted to welcome another member on the "left" side of the Red River (Skip must be heading west).
I also have one of those Dot label replacement British flags from fast eddy sports that is showing on your avatar.
Love it and always get great comments on it (the service check in person at the dealer ran out to snap some pictures cause she liked it so much).
Inexpensive too. If I only got that bang for the buck on everything I put on the bike.
Anyway, welcome.

Welcome from San Antonio... I'm not a fan of Alamo's service department, it's probably something much simpler that they overlooked. If there's not an error code, they don't seem capable of troubleshooting, but the Rocket is a great bike. I currently have 63,000+ miles on it with no mechanical issues to speak of..

Thanks for the reassurance. Service guy kept telling me how hard it was for him to tell me about the problem being a new bike and all. While I have sympathy for his dilemma, someone higher up should have stepped up and at least offered me a formal apology (and a promise to make it right). Hell, you get better customer service from WalMart.

Hi kellyw1 ....... and a warm welcome from Sydney Australia in the middle of winter. FWIW I had a Hinkley Bonneville :cool: back in 2002 and now have a 2010 Roadster:eek::D:eek:. I have also owned a 92 Daytona 1000 (I should have kept that:(), a 96 Daytona 1200 (I should have kept that to:(), and a 05 Rocket.

I can honestly report that I never had one single problem with any of 'em :).

I just brought mine in 2 weekends ago for a problem I couldn't resolve. I should've seen it, but I didn't so I brought it to the dealer. They suspected a vacuum leak and replaced some rubber bits and pulled and cleaned the spark plugs I had just put in. They called and said my bike was ready. When I got there, I will admit the bike did stay running, which was better than when I brought it, but it still ran like crap. They actually asked me if this was the normal way it runs because I would know my bike better than them ?!?!?! I look over at a new Rocket, and then my Rocket, and said well no.. it was running as good as that new one. They said this was as good as they could get it.. $480.. for the 5 hours of labor..

I brought it home.. looked it over good again.. and found 3 cracked spark plug wires! Both plug wires on the rear cylinder were completely exposed firing everywhere but the plug.. and one on the front cylinder.. Now, yes I should have seen this before.. but when they pulled the plugs to clean them, it was pretty obvious.. Ordered the plug wires from BikeBandit last week..

Last time I took it in, I paid them to $140.00 to ride my bike. It had a high idle problem.. They said they couldn't duplicate it.. I started it right there in their parking lot idling at 2,000 RPM. They offered to look at it again and I said I would figure it out.. Turned out to be the idle stepper motor.. I just backed it off to 800 RPM and have had no issues with that ever since..

Sorry I'm not instilling confidence in your dealer, but I would feel bad not telling you as well. The Rocket is a great bike.. and I sure am going through withdrawals!

Back