SCHEDULED MAINTENANCE CHECK SHEET - 10K mile Valve clearances - check/adjust

Does the RIII need a 10K(mile) or 20K(mile) Valve clearances - check/adjust

• Total voters
It going to be hot tomorrow but we can ride in the AM. Let's go.
I certainly would if it was possible. But.... Rocket needed a tire before I took vacation. Oh well tire and maintenance when I return. Get back, ready to leave for work Friday morn, flat tire on the T bird. Plus I work weekends. I'll pm u later when I get things together. Riding the wife's Shadow right now. Seems like a moped compared to what I'm used to.:(

I certainly would if it was possible. But.... Rocket needed a tire before I took vacation. Oh well tire and maintenance when I return. Get back, ready to leave for work Friday morn, flat tire on the T bird. Plus I work weekends. I'll pm u later when I get things together. Riding the wife's Shadow right now. Seems like a moped compared to what I'm used to.:(

OK. Well'l get it done. It is just too **** hot any way.

I was told by my dealer that the first valve check was 10000 kilometres. A $ 700 plus service. They said it was unusual but mine needed a few exhaust valves adjusted.

I think you meant to say, 10,000 miles. 10,000 kilometers is only a little over 6,200 miles.

Actually Triumph sent the bulletin out to all Triumph dealers in the USA about 3 or 4 years ago that the valve check was changed from 10K to 20K, try research my friend or just call them at Hinckley in England and they'll put you straight instead of arguing with me over it. When I took my Rocket 3 in for Its 10k service in 2013 the dealer told me they had already received the said bulletin and the service was conducted without the valve check. That's the Dealer and their neck is on the line if they screw up with an incomplete service while the bike is under warranty and something goes wrong with it.

Well said and good information!

If he is not a Triumph certified technician I wouldn't use him. If your bike is under warranty you have to use a Triumph Certified Tech's to do the service or the work if not and something happens to the bike they will just void the warranty and you're on your own. once the warranty runs out you can do it yourself with a sledge hammer and blow torch if you want to? "Not recommended though".

That's not really true. A law was passed decades ago that you or anyone you choose can do maintenance work on any machine and the warranty is still good as long as the job was done properly. Checking valve clearances is not a warranty issue. It's a maintenance issue. Long ago, people were forced to have maintenance done by the dealer they bought their machine from but that changed long long ago. Now, if you changed the valve shims incorrectly and it caused damage, that wouldn't be covered under warranty. Triumph cannot void your warranty of maintenance work done by you or a non-Triumph certified mechanic unless the work caused the problem that you wanted to claim under warranty. I wish I could remember the name of the law in question but you can find it easily with a search. So go ahead and do your own maintenance work if you like. Just do it right. Like many here, I do ALL my own work. And I trust my work more than I trust any mechanic's that I don't know personally. Since the 1960s when I got my first car and motorcycle, the only times jobs have been screwed up was when I got lazy and had someone else do the work. And I don't trust my Triumph service department. They don't seem to know what they are talking about - even about the most basic things.

That's not really true. A law was passed decades ago that you or anyone you choose can do maintenance work on any machine and the warranty is still good as long as the job was done properly. Checking valve clearances is not a warranty issue. It's a maintenance issue. Long ago, people were forced to have maintenance done by the dealer they bought their machine from but that changed long long ago. Now, if you changed the valve shims incorrectly and it caused damage, that wouldn't be covered under warranty. Triumph cannot void your warranty of maintenance work done by you or a non-Triumph certified mechanic unless the work caused the problem that you wanted to claim under warranty. I wish I could remember the name of the law in question but you can find it easily with a search. So go ahead and do your own maintenance work if you like. Just do it right. Like many here, I do ALL my own work. And I trust my work more than I trust any mechanic's that I don't know personally. Since the 1960s when I got my first car and motorcycle, the only times jobs have been screwed up was when I got lazy and had someone else do the work. And I don't trust my Triumph service department. They don't seem to know what they are talking about - even about the most basic things.
Your on track.:):):):):)

Greasing the splines is done ever time you do a rear tire change. They are exposed when the rear wheel is removed. Use the older honda moly 60 paste. Do a search on here re lubing splines. Lots of info

Edit: here's a good one

Driveshaft Spline Lube

I'm glad I read your post. I was a bit concerned about the driveshaft spline thing and wasn't exactly sure what those that mentioned it were talking about but I changed my rear tire a month ago and I cleaned and lubed the splines that are revealed when you pull off the bevel box off with the rear tire. So I guess I've done what was suggested. I was concerned that maybe they were talking about removing the entire rear drive unit.

I appreciate your recommendations and comments. I'll take care of the oil change and the break and clutch fluid changes. Have done that on the Magna & Valkyrie several times. The R3 manual calls for a throttle body synchro and gas filter change. Letting a computer scan the bike is not a bad idea. That is very easy and it might detect a hidden problem. I'll see if it really needs the valve clearances checked & the plugs changed. Perhaps these items can be delayed until 40k miles. I'll precheck with them an itemized service plan and go from there. It looks like if the bike ever needs major service it is being trailered to Fort Worth. Perhaps the 40k service can be done there. I'll drive over, stay overnight and drive back.

Am I missing any key service issues before I entrust my Rocket to the mechanic?

Clutch fluid changes? I don't know about your bike but my 2015 R3T has a cable clutch. No fluid.

Back