SCHEDULED MAINTENANCE CHECK SHEET - 10K mile Valve clearances - check/adjust

Does the RIII need a 10K(mile) or 20K(mile) Valve clearances - check/adjust

• Total voters
I'm new to Rocket III ownership. The bike I purchased looks to have been well taken care off. The local dealer, British USA in So Houston, has performed all services. The 30k service was performed on 8/2012 @ 26,00 miles. The bike is approaching 30k miles and the service manager is suggesting an extensive service interval visit. I am weary whenever the bike goes up on the lift. Is there any good or not so good feedback from this shop? Any advice from the experienced will be appreciated.

If the 30,000 was done 4,000 ago I would first see if there is an invoice showing that all of the items on the 30,000 checklist were actually performed. And if they were, my next question would be if 30,000 was done @ 26,000, when was 20,000 service done???
If you also know that info then you will need to do what was done for the 20,000 svc again, 20,000 miles from that point (so if it was done @ 15,0000 it will need to be done again at 35,000) :confused: :confused: :confused: :confused:
So you would need, at that point to: renew oil, filter, air cleaner, coolant, fuel filter, brake fluid (every 2 years), final drive oil.
And check/adjust: ecm (check for stored DTC), spark plugs, throttle body balance, throttle cables, headstock bearings (check/adjust/lubricate), fork seals, brake fluids, brake pad wear, calipers/master cyl for leaks, clutch cable
The extensive service interval is expensive (rhyms) - Can you perform some of it yourself? You should at least do the ones you can :thumbsup:

I made a comment on this thread a while back that my dealer said he could find nothing to indicate the clearance check had change to 20K. Still at 10k according to the dealer. I ordered some parts from Hermy's Triumph and ask the parts guy about the valve clearance check. He was kind enough to take a look and sent me this service sheet. According to the sheet dated 01/2016, the valve clearance check has in fact been move out to 20K. A previously posted PDF in this thread indicates the same thing as of a couple of years ago.

Considering the insane expense and the lack of any major clearance issues reported by riders at 10K, I am not getting mine done until 20k. I will continue to stay on top of all the other scheduled maintenance and do that maintenance myself as recommended.

Attachments

• image.jpeg
    image.jpeg
    290 KB · Views: 8
I made a comment on this thread a while back that my dealer said he could find nothing to indicate the clearance check had change to 20K. Still at 10k according to the dealer. I ordered some parts from Hermy's Triumph and ask the parts guy about the valve clearance check. He was kind enough to take a look and sent me this service sheet. According to the sheet dated 01/2016, the valve clearance check has in fact been move out to 20K. A previously posted PDF in this thread indicates the same thing as of a couple of years ago.

Considering the insane expense and the lack of any major clearance issues reported by riders at 10K, I am not getting mine done until 20k. I will continue to stay on top of all the other scheduled maintenance and do that maintenance myself as recommended.

Good info :thumbsup:

If the 30,000 was done 4,000 ago I would first see if there is an invoice showing that all of the items on the 30,000 checklist were actually performed. And if they were, my next question would be if 30,000 was done @ 26,000, when was 20,000 service done???
If you also know that info then you will need to do what was done for the 20,000 svc again, 20,000 miles from that point (so if it was done @ 15,0000 it will need to be done again at 35,000) :confused: :confused: :confused: :confused:
So you would need, at that point to: renew oil, filter, air cleaner, coolant, fuel filter, brake fluid (every 2 years), final drive oil.
And check/adjust: ecm (check for stored DTC), spark plugs, throttle body balance, throttle cables, headstock bearings (check/adjust/lubricate), fork seals, brake fluids, brake pad wear, calipers/master cyl for leaks, clutch cable
The extensive service interval is expensive (rhyms) - Can you perform some of it yourself? You should at least do the ones you can :thumbsup:

Good info EasTex. Have the stamped book @ 500, 10k, 20k@20,500 & 30k@26,000 all done @ the dealer. Last service 8/23/12. The logbook calls for 40k or 4 years for the next service interval so it looks like it's time. Will call on the opinion of the previous owner since he was so careful. My main concern is the lifting of the valve cover to check the clearances and trusting that any shim changes are done correctly. Thanks for your input.

Talking of greasing splines ? What would be involved here ? I'm guessing remove bevel box from shaft and remove shaft itself ? Is just the bevel box oil filled and the shaft greased ? Please explain , I'm stupid ! o_O

Talking of greasing splines ? What would be involved here ? I'm guessing remove bevel box from shaft and remove shaft itself ? Is just the bevel box oil filled and the shaft greased ? Please explain , I'm stupid ! o_O

Greasing the splines is done ever time you do a rear tire change. They are exposed when the rear wheel is removed. Use the older honda moly 60 paste. Do a search on here re lubing splines. Lots of info

Edit: here's a good one

Driveshaft Spline Lube

Last edited:
I'm new to Rocket III ownership. The bike I purchased looks to have been well taken care off. The local dealer, British USA in So Houston, has performed all services. The 30k service was performed on 8/2012 @ 26,00 miles. The bike is approaching 30k miles and the service manager is suggesting an extensive service interval visit. I am weary whenever the bike goes up on the lift. Is there any good or not so good feedback from this shop? Any advice from the experienced will be appreciated.
The following is of course just my opinion and my experience. Also there is a new Serv. Mgr & crewmembers in the service department. I have not used the service department since the new crew has been there. I stopped using them because they a premium labor rate to go along with substandard work. Here is a list; after replacing rear tire on my Thunderbird. I get it back with greasy fingerprints are all over the wheel and the pulley. Even degreaser wouldn't clean off the light grey matte colored pulley. Wheel weight adhesive stuck in 2 extra places on the right, one the left. I use balance beads, I asked them not to balance the tire. Afterwards my belt sounded like a rusty chain. When I returned it the next day the Serv. Mgr. acted like and actually said he'd never heard of this happening before. Niether had I until you guys worked my bike. Whenever I asked the service manager about some common issues with the bike, recalls or service bulletins, he never heard of it. They couldn't find a leaking hose clamp because it was either too difficult to look under the tank with a bright light or pull the tank.( and it's a common issue). They could never hear a noise or the noise was always normal. Had to take it to Fort Worth to get that fixed. Don't think he's there anymore but the lead Tech (Doug) was asked, why is my front tire cupping so badly starting at 2500 miles. "because you have soft rubber against concrete, that's normal, just ask Goldwing riders" that was the last time I allowed them to touch my bike. The new mgr/crew seem better but I'll never find out. Unless you report back with a glowing review. $180.00 to install a rear tire on the easy R3, $140 on the pita Bird. Why does the hard one cost less, was told because the R3 has a big tire. I wish you luck. Anything you can do yourself, do it. PS when I suggested some possible solutions I read on forums, Doug told me. Don't read forums. They're just a bunch of winning, complaining a holes. They don't know s****. If I could find him I could tell him how the forum a holes solved the issues he could or would not.

Where would you take your bike here in Houston?
Sorry I can't give any recommendations. I do my own maintenance & repairs. If forced to take it in for a major repair, I would get it to Eurosport Cycles in Fort Worth. Not convenient but the only one I have confidence in. As for the Triumph dealer in Katy? I don't know about the quality of service . I'll skip to the end of that story. I flat out straight up caught them lying and trying to run a scam and bait and switch all at the same time. I have proof of a part of it in writing.The new crew at British USA may be Ok. You could possibly give them a try. The owner and the rest of the dealership are very nice people. If you have a problem they will take care of it. I just don't think there should be any problems at that price level.

Back