SCHEDULED MAINTENANCE CHECK SHEET - 10K mile Valve clearances - check/adjust

Does the RIII need a 10K(mile) or 20K(mile) Valve clearances - check/adjust

• Total voters

JoshNYC

.020 Over
Ride
Triumph 2010 RIII R
Hey Guys,

I've read about the 10K mile Valve clearances - check/adjust for a while now. Moreover, when I brought my bike in for a tire change, break change and yearly service a few months ago they reminded me that at 10K the rocket should have the valves adjusted and a long list of 10K service items performed.

So recently (after getting another nail in the tire, 4th one in 3 years and some electrical issues) I started talking (emailing)with two Triumph dealerships about the 10K service. I got a surprise. The service guy from one shop wrote:

Just to clarify for you on the checklist you have any box that is filled in grey with an X is an item that does NOT require completing at that service.

There was some confusion on the Rockets as a previous release stated that valves were checked at 10K miles. However after confirming with Triumph Technical the Valves are checked at 20K miles.

View media item 10607
Is he correct? Is the 10K Valve clearance that I've read about on RIII boards incorrect? Is there anything then that is really important in the 10K service that isn't covered in annual service?

I've relatively recently had my oil replaced, break fluid replaced, coolant replaced, breaks replaced and tires replaced. Is the 10K service necessary / recommended at if the Valve clearance check isn't needed for another 10k miles (if other yearly service has been performed regularly)? Thanks GUYS!

Most important thing is to pull the final drive off and clean and re-lube the splines on the driveshaft and final drive

So, should I make a special request for this service? On the sheet I posted it lists this service (drive shaft) at 20K miles and not 10K miles. (like the Valves).

The valve check at 10k was changed to 20k as the early check was found to be unnecessary. There is no mention of lubricating the drive shaft spline from Triumph however experience of members on here and other boards has shown that if the final drive isn't removed and the splines greased with a high moly content lube ( 60% or better ) at approximately every tire change then heavy wear can occur.

So, should I make a special request for this service? On the sheet I posted it lists this service (drive shaft) at 20K miles and not 10K miles. (like the Valves).
Josh just to be clear in case your not reading it right no where on that chart does it say to lubricate the drive shaft splines and the inner mating differential splines. In fact it does not state it for any of the bikes listed just oil checks and changes. A little more for the single suspension units. In fat the only time in the manual it talks about lubricating them splines is when you installing the bevel box not as a normal maintenance. We have found that it needs to be done and if so you will not have a problem. Do not do it and well the bevel box is not cheap especially if you also chew up the drive shaft.

And just to clarify on that sheet, it's a check sheet, so the blanks are what needs to be done and "checked" by the mechanic. For some reason a lot of people are confused by that, so you're not alone.

My owners manual states 10K for the valve check. I would probably go in and take a look at the clearances at that point. I do all maintenance myself, so it would just be my time and parts if needed.

Daytonagto, I'd be surprised if you found anything out of spec at 10k, but if you do check let us know what you find.

My owners manual states 10K for the valve check. I would probably go in and take a look at the clearances at that point. I do all maintenance myself, so it would just be my time and parts if needed.
One of the points of the posts above was to note that the service interval was changed to 20 k

Back