SCHEDULED MAINTENANCE CHECK SHEET - 10K mile Valve clearances - check/adjust

Does the RIII need a 10K(mile) or 20K(mile) Valve clearances - check/adjust

• Total voters
!st check I done was at 28k all ok. Be doin my next one soon at 45k.

45000 in and no valve check , then again i dont revv the ringgear out of it either.

I have had the 10000K valve check and "scheduled" valve checks since ,no adjustments required ,now approaching 40000 Ks I will do the check myself just for piece of mind and post results, like Sean I nurse my machines ,and change the engine oil and final drive oil and filters both air and oil at 10000Ks,:) so far so good

Attached is the MY15 Rocket III Roadster owner's manual downloaded from Triumph's website. PDF pg. 61 shows:
Valve clearances - check/adjust: 10,000 mi, 30,000 mi, 50,000 mi.
Check them at 10k miles then every 20k miles after that.

FYI, I just had mine checked during a valve cover gasket warranty replacement at 10k miles and the dealer said they were all in spec.

One of the points of the posts above was to note that the service interval was changed to 20 k

If it was changed, I guess it was by word-of-mouth. I purchased the Triumph service manual, and also have the owners manual, and both indicate the valves to be checked at 10K and every 20K AFTER the first 10K check. Any documentation on the change? I never found any.

I have found by reading this forum that the experience of the owners is more valuable than the dealers recommendations. Frankly, my local dealer is of the belief that all you need to do is change the oil every 10,000 miles and call it good. Not a smart idea, but sure is easy. The Rocket III is far improved mechanicly from other cycles but DOES require PM.

I have found by reading this forum that the experience of the owners is more valuable than the dealers recommendations. Frankly, my local dealer is of the belief that all you need to do is change the oil every 10,000 miles and call it good. Not a smart idea, but sure is easy. The Rocket III is far improved mechanicly from other cycles but DOES require PM.

Lots of good info here, but the valve check interval is a factory, not a dealer recommendation. Honestly, I wouldn't let 90% of dealers air up my tires, much less work on my bike. I do take the factory intervals seriously. YMMV.

Most important thing 10,000 mi. is to pull the final drive off and clean and re-lube the splines on the driveshaft and final drive.
You lube them when you replace the rear tire, so by 10k It should have been done twice already. Now that I have switched to a Bridgestone Excedra Max maybe I can do it every 10k. Wishful thinking. lol

45000 in and no valve check , then again i dont revv the ringgear out of it either.
I have checked and found no adjustments needed on every bike (all Hondas,one Yamaha) I've ever owned in the past 40years. 90%of my previous rides were/are shaft drive. I never even heard of greasing splines until I bought a R3 and discovered this and the other Rocket 3 forum. I'll take the forum's advice and keep the splines lubed. But I have no plans to check valve adjustment unless I have a problem in that area.

There is a real good mechanic here in Las Vegas at Freedom Cycle. I'm fussy and I even like his work. Every time its time for a tire I'll have him do the splines. I like like to do my own work but since I think the guy does as good as me or better I think he can just keep the Triumph maintained and I'll still do the V8 bikes and my 38 Buick.

Back