Running TuneECU - unable to connect.

Tyler Bonser

.020 Over
Ride
2005 rocket III/2018 rocket III
Tried running tuneecu but am not able to get connected to the ecu. Have tried using my phone, tablet and a laptop but no luck.
I bought the recommended cable along with a cheaper one and neither work. I also have a bluetooth obdII reader and am able to use tuneecu with that but can't do anything with the maps using that.
Was wondering if there is something simple that I am missing so I can work on some remapping.

Thanks

For android, be sure that you have an OTG adapter - not just a phone charger adapter - to mate to the USB/OBDII cable
Also you need to 'connect' under the ECU menu

If windows (you mention laptop) then be sure you have drivers correctly installed - best to install them manually

For android, be sure that you have an OTG adapter - not just a phone charger adapter - to mate to the USB/OBDII cable
Also you need to 'connect' under the ECU menu

If windows (you mention laptop) then be sure you have drivers correctly installed - best to install them manually
I used the adapters that came with the cable and yes clicked on the ecu tab. It would say connecting to ecu but then would go to the menu to connect a bluetooth item.

try turning off your bluetooth and try the 'connect' function again

No
Try opening a map that is appropriate for your bike in the program and try connecting again
Make sure fuse 4 is good (it must be though or your turn signals etc would not work)

The only times I have ever had issues with TuneECU from a Windows PC - it has been a driver issue.
As Ken says - do the driver load manually - if a CD came with the cable etc - use it. Do NOT let M-Soft update it.
This is a major PITA with Win8 onwards. With 7 and before it was easier to manage.

I keep an old Win7 netbook with all network access disabled specifically for the task.

If is Win10 - I strongly recommend installing Downloads / Software / Winaero Tweaker - This is not a crack - it is simply a way to let ANYBODY make important changes to their system using the (often hidden) microsoft command set.

Just to add to this a bit. Microsoft has 3 basic groups of commercial OS.

1) We assume you the owner have no idea at all - so we conspire to make you do what is easier for us. (Home Editions)
2) We accept you may have some idea of what you do - So we let you feel you have some control. (Pro Editions)
3) OK - we give up - You can do as you wish because other wise you'll drop us like hot bricks and install Linux. (Long Term Support Editions)

There is a 4th group - where most System Admins can demonstrably debug Windows faster than Microsoft - By it applies to SERVER OS's.
I am a huge fan of SERVER-OS's even for home use. No bloatware.
But not all consumer software runs on them - as the software writes lock them to non server architecture.

I have tried to get TuneECU to run on Linux (using WINE) but gave up (drivers) and went Option 3) as well as the air-walled LapTop. This made sense as all the Power Commander stuff wanted Windows too.

FOR THOSE with some H/D hardware about - even old stuff.
PROXMOX (or QEMU and KVM) to virtual-ise (and isolate) everything. Have all the OS's you need in one box and all available at once.

Sorry - my mind wandered off.

Back