Rough running - Spark plugs

Jackb

Standard Bore
Ride
R3 Roadster 2011
Hi guys, just thought I’d share a recent event. My R3 was running like a dream then overnight started running rough, backfiring, almost stalling etc. No codes coming up, no check engine light.
I started checking MPS,TPS, coils, leads, fully expecting to find something expensive....
After I’d wasted a day or so checking and rechecking all the complicated stuff I changed all my spark plugs. Problem solved. Cost $30au.
My advice (more to myself ) is always start with the simple stuff.

I learnt when i had a VMX1200 that would intermittently play up on me, had the carbs fully rebuilt, changed spark plugs and coils kept happening , then found out one of the coil connector plugs had deteriorated over time and was losing contact........sold it not long after that haha

Especially if you have had bad fuel and if flooded with fuel - I too recently had the same issue with one of my 4 rockets

I have 42,000km on my Rocket and I am going to change the plugs this winter even though the bike is running fine. Its not expensive and easy to do.

I decided to change the plugs, just for the sake of it some time ago, the bike was running absolutely fine, no problems at all.
But after I'd fitted the new plugs, the bike ran a lot crisper and smoother, it was quite noticeable.

Back