Strange running issue

devildog48

.020 Over
Ride
2005 R3
So I have a 2005 r3, Crank it and it runs fine. When you so much as touch the throttle, All gauges go dead then the bike dies. It completely looses all electrical! Anyone experienced this? Connections to the battery are fine as to the starter and the ground!

Do you have Eastern Beaver or something similar? If not, then possibly the white wire solder in the ignition switch has failed.

If that is the case then you will need to open the unit which will involve removing two tamper-proof screws and re-soldering the wire. Replace the two screws with regular metric bolts.

You will also need to address the problem of overloading the unit. There are various solutions for this.

I do not. I bounced the idea around about the ignition but was at a lose on how the throttle and ignition switch could interact. It will idle all day long but as soon as you turn the throttle it kills electrical power thus killing the bike. A few weeks ago my speedometer was intermittently working, now it does not work at all other than the initial sweep on start up. It also will not show that it is in neutral until the bike starts. I would like to think that all the issues are related. Now after writing out all of this I guess it could possibly be the ignition switch. lol

Back