2007 R3 Was running perfect, now I can barely keep it running?

OK making some progress! Like Mully said, the fuse holder 30 amp spots are weak, tiny plastic clips worthless with age, and sure enough, the wires were falling out. I think this is what was causing those gauge errors. So I put the 30amp wires back in place, held them, then squirted some clear adhesive into the two chambers which will dry holding the wires in place. I'll check tomorrow after complete drying takes place. I also I drained all the gas back out of the tank(it was less than a gallon), it too smelled bad. I will put another fresh batch of petrol inside, but this time about two or three gallons.

OK making some progress! Like Mully said, the fuse holder 30 amp spots are weak, tiny plastic clips worthless with age, and sure enough, the wires were falling out. I think this is what was causing those gauge errors. So I put the 30amp wires back in place, held them, then squirted some clear adhesive into the two chambers which will dry holding the wires in place. I'll check tomorrow after complete drying takes place. I also I drained all the gas back out of the tank(it was less than a gallon), it too smelled bad. I will put another fresh batch of petrol inside, but this time about two or three gallons.
Ok, those 30 ampere wires were fixed, they are not coming loose any longer, perfectly good connection with the fuses now. Gauges have now gone back to reading wrong. Seems that simply removing the power from the bike for a few minutes seems to help. But once power is restored for a few minutes, gauges screw up again? What could be causing this??

Last edited:
I am seriously amazed that after all these years, that this issue with my gauges seems to be rare, only one other post came close to describing the same issue and even it had no mention of the motor gasping for life trying to run. A month ago, all was fine, bike was started in my garage, ran for 30 minutes, then shut off and battery tender put back on. Try to crank it last week, motor popping, backfiring, gasping, only runs when I feather the throttle from idle to wide open, gauges also messed up. I removed the battery for a day to fix the fuse holder, plugged everything back in and all gauges reset to zero after sweep, bike cranked up and seemed to run correct for 2 seconds, then back to crap and gauges did not zero again.

Back