2007 R3 Was running perfect, now I can barely keep it running?

Jimbeamrye

.060 Over
Ride
2007 Rocket 3 Classic
Hello, for the past couple years I haven't been riding as much due to a leaking front fork seal. I have been cranking her up regularly and riding up and down the local road on short trips. Now the FIRST time ever, I had trouble cranking her up, and when it did, it was a struggle to keep the motor running(motor would start to rev, but sputter back down). I tried cranking it and letting it idle, motor just fades from 1000 rpm down to stall. I thought I smelled bad gas, so since the tank was close to empty, I put a gallon of fresh fuel inside, but nothing changed. Motor will not idle and will die as soon as you try to move in 1st, it's completely un-rideable.
Maybe this is a strange coincidence, but I noticed that both my speedometer and my tachometer gauges are not going back down to zero after the initial sweep. I pulled the battery cables off for awhile, no change on the gauges. I looked in the gas tank, is it normal to see fuel spraying in there for 2 seconds when the pump primes up? Any ideas fellas what I can try, throw them at me before the stealerlship has to get involved. My girlfriend really wants back on the bike for a real ride, see pic. I wish!! Thanks in advance!

Attachments

• Rocket girls2.jpg
    Rocket girls2.jpg
    9.4 KB · Views: 24
Last edited:
Sounds like one of the hoses have busted in the tank, i dont think you should see spraying in the tank

Attachments

• 862A3282-8D8C-4EDD-B864-6B0C98AA2611.jpeg
    862A3282-8D8C-4EDD-B864-6B0C98AA2611.jpeg
    309.3 KB · Views: 22
It appears to come from the fuel pump itself, like a by-pass valve. It is not a hose where the spray is coming from. It sprays for 2 seconds when you turn the ignition on, then it stops.
Thats normal sorry you said you could see it

Bummer, now you got a pissed off Rocket, from sitting all those years. Got to get those cob webs cleaned out. No bike likes to sit. I know, as I have 6 titled/tagged bikes, and trying to keep them all fresh is a job.
I've been riding or running the bike regularly over the last few years, cranking motor at least once a month. Just wanted to minimize the riding with the leaking fork seal. The gauges malfunctioning have me baffled.

I just my 2 cents worth your vacuum lines haven't split after not being abused in the correct manner.

As for the fork seal after two years you should have at least saved a $1 a week you might be able to afford to get it repaired. Mine leaked once was a 130 miles trip back to city part ordered Wednesday had to come 1000 odd miles fitted in the shop on Friday.
But I was rich back then. Not so much now.

I've been riding or running the bike regularly over the last few years, cranking motor at least once a month. Just wanted to minimize the riding with the leaking fork seal. The gauges malfunctioning have me baffled.
In my opinion one of the worst things to do to a bike is run it a bit every month or so. up here it gets a little cool during the winter and my bikes get parked for quite a few months. Once they are stored they aren't touched until Spring. I hate to think of starting a bike and letting it run for 30 minutes or so because it never gets hot enough to evaporate all the acidic condensation that forms in a cold engine and there is blowby from cold pistons and rings and even when they get up to temperature the rings aren't under enough pressure to fully seal and the oil will get contaminated. If you aren't riding it let it sleep. As long as the battery has been maintained my bikes fire right up every spring.

In my opinion one of the worst things to do to a bike is run it a bit every month or so. up here it gets a little cool during the winter and my bikes get parked for quite a few months. Once they are stored they aren't touched until Spring. I hate to think of starting a bike and letting it run for 30 minutes or so because it never gets hot enough to evaporate all the acidic condensation that forms in a cold engine and there is blowby from cold pistons and rings and even when they get up to temperature the rings aren't under enough pressure to fully seal and the oil will get contaminated. If you aren't riding it let it sleep. As long as the battery has been maintained my bikes fire right up every spring.
Oh my bike is in my homes climate controlled garage, 78F non-stop.

Back