Finally getting back to Project Warthog. The Texas Sidecar Company finished their part in the re-working the bike subframe and struts so I could transfer the side camper from the Vstrom1000 to the R3. Brought the rig home, now to work on wring, mounting the various bits and pieces to make atop notch adventure rig.

Looking at the photos you will note lots a little changes to the basic bike to make it more road-worthy and suited for sidecar duty.

IMG_1762.jpg

Yes, it is going to be a W-I-D-E rig, which will make it more stable.

IMG_1764.jpg

Fabricating a top rack for the five gallon auxiliary fuel cell and top box.

IMG_1775.jpg

The rear top rack also supports the left pannier rack.

IMG_1789.jpg

Now am waiting for a new fuel pump plate and arm as the OEM was corroding, flaking rust. The main tank itself was fine though. A new seat is being made for all day riding.

Am planning a return ride to Alaska next summer. Saving on the cost of motels allows better eating and buying more fuel.

More photos to follow as the build project winds up and the riding begins....

@CCjon I have been saving money for a Ural. Originally wanted one of the two-wheel drive bikes but realize that I am not going to be riding it where I need that. If I go off pavement, it will be some sort of dirt road.
With that said, A regular bike with a hack suites my needs just fine. I'm now thinking of going this route even knowing it will cost me more I think to buy another Rocket, then a side car and have it joined up correctly. Time will tell but I do need something to ride if it ever snows here in Virginia again. (I've only lost one work day riding due to icy roads this winter).

^^^^ Boog, if you have never owned or ridden a sidecar, I highly recommend buying a used rig already set up. Then if you decide you don't like sidecaring, and some don't, you can resell the rig and hopefully breakeven. But if you like sidecars, you can move into more expensive rigs designed for the type of riding you want to do on it, be it pavement running or off road exploring.

The Rocket sidecar is not for the novice sidecarist. It is an handful with more than enough power to get you into trouble fast. Sidecar driving is not difficult to learn but it does require a different skill set than two wheel riding. New skills and reactions must be learned and practiced. What works on two wheels in some cases is the opposite of what you need to do on three.

The national sidecar rally will be the first weekend in June this year, at the CMA Iron Mountain campgrounds in Mena, Arkansa. There will be a couple hundred sidecar rigs of all brands and styles gathered there. All riders are welcome to join the festivities, meet the owners, kick tires, learn more about the sport before putting down your hard earned money. I know of several sidecar owners riding over from Virginia.

Many many owners started with a URAL, me being one. Some moved on to different rigs fo various reasons, others stayed with the URAL. By talking with various owners, you're learn the why and hows of sidecars.

Since all US built sidecar are custom jobs, there are some great rigs out there and there are some death traps. Some will be money pits and others are an endless joy to ride. Only by talking with other owners will you learn which are which.

Good luck with your search. Be glad to answer any questions you might have about sidecars.

CCjon

^^^^ Boog, if you have never owned or ridden a sidecar, I highly recommend buying a used rig already set up. Then if you decide you don't like sidecaring, and some don't, you can resell the rig and hopefully breakeven. But if you like sidecars, you can move into more expensive rigs designed for the type of riding you want to do on it, be it pavement running or off road exploring.

The Rocket sidecar is not for the novice sidecarist. It is an handful with more than enough power to get you into trouble fast. Sidecar driving is not difficult to learn but it does require a different skill set than two wheel riding. New skills and reactions must be learned and practiced. What works on two wheels in some cases is the opposite of what you need to do on three.

The national sidecar rally will be the first weekend in June this year, at the CMA Iron Mountain campgrounds in Mena, Arkansa. There will be a couple hundred sidecar rigs of all brands and styles gathered there. All riders are welcome to join the festivities, meet the owners, kick tires, learn more about the sport before putting down your hard earned money. I know of several sidecar owners riding over from Virginia.

Many many owners started with a URAL, me being one. Some moved on to different rigs fo various reasons, others stayed with the URAL. By talking with various owners, you're learn the why and hows of sidecars.

Since all US built sidecar are custom jobs, there are some great rigs out there and there are some death traps. Some will be money pits and others are an endless joy to ride. Only by talking with other owners will you learn which are which.

Good luck with your search. Be glad to answer any questions you might have about sidecars.

CCjon
Good point brother about education first. I have not ridden a sidecar bike yet. I do think I want one though as my only other option Is a trike for snowy roads and I'd rather not go there.
I will keep learning and am a member of the Soviet Steed forum as well. I have time to decide as none are cheap really that are reliable anyway. Got to save my lunch money...

Boog, Soviet Steeds is a great place to get information on the URALs.

Actually there are many reasonable priced rigs out there. a great source of information on what's available and people's opinion's on prices is here: FS, Fleabay, & CL stuff goes here!

Scroll thru several pages of postings and we will get a feeling for sidecar pricing. And what you could expect if you buy and decide to resell.

Of course there is also eBay and Cycletrader sites for finding deals.

My experience has been Springtime is the best time to buy, prices are more reasonable.

Good luck

CCjon

Good point brother about education first. I have not ridden a sidecar bike yet. I do think I want one though as my only other option Is a trike for snowy roads and I'd rather not go there.
I will keep learning and am a member of the Soviet Steed forum as well. I have time to decide as none are cheap really that are reliable anyway. Got to save my lunch money...

Boog the most important rule for riding a Rocket with a chair is "Make sure its pointed in the right direction before applying the throttle". It has more than enough grunt to break traction as well as overide the steering effect of the front wheel.:):):):eek::eek::eek::eek::):):):):rolleyes::rolleyes::rolleyes::rolleyes:
Come and visit and I'll teach you(First sidecar ride on the other side of the road, what could go wrong???)

Boog, Soviet Steeds is a great place to get information on the URALs.

Actually there are many reasonable priced rigs out there. a great source of information on what's available and people's opinion's on prices is here: FS, Fleabay, & CL stuff goes here!

Scroll thru several pages of postings and we will get a feeling for sidecar pricing. And what you could expect if you buy and decide to resell.

Of course there is also eBay and Cycletrader sites for finding deals.

My experience has been Springtime is the best time to buy, prices are more reasonable.

Good luck

CCjon
CCjon, the Adventure guys seem to be a little reclusive. Maybe they will warm up as I get more active there. I do like the link you sent me as there is a HUGE amount of variety of sidecars there. Some are scary and some are beautiful. I really like the 2014 Scrambler 900.

Thanks for helping get my thoughts focused and I will reach out as I get more information on what I am going to spend my money on!

And I look forward to seeing your finished project here.

Back