Rocket R and Rocket GT video

Lots of good things and lots of potential for the future. The good?

* More displacement, slight increase in power
* I like the new head pipes, exhaust styling (instead of the log manifold)
* Throttle by wire-addresses the heavy throttle spring and enables cruise control (huge!!!)
* Full set of rider aids/traction control/throttle modes
* Up-to-date lighting and instrumentation
* I like the machined ribs and details on the block. Looks more like a bike engine, less agricultural
* 6-Speeds
* Pretty dramatic weight reduction
* Most importantly-simply that the beloved big beast is back!

The not-so-good?
* 15 years of engineering/development since the old one and no more torque and only a modest increase in HP, with that extra displacement
* Everything behind the seat and above the wheel... Not a fan of the bobbed fender look or the tacky mud-guard.
* The beauty of the old model was the versatility. Bare bike was simply a bad-ass cruiser. You could hang out with the HD crowd and smack them down when needed; it actually looked the part of a cruiser. Slap a set of bags, windshield, highway pegs and throttle lock and you've got an OK touring bike. New one doesn't look as flexible.
* Looks the part of a "street fighter"-but not a match to others in that category (B-King, H2 SX, Super Duke, Diaval (though that might be even) or V-Max.
* 4.8 gallon tank (perhaps the biggest minus IMO)

To me, it's the start of what I hope turns into a whole platform of bikes. Really want to see a fully dressed touring bike with that engine at it's core.

Last edited:
Lots of good things and lots of potential for the future. The good?

* More displacement, slight increase in power
* I like the new head pipes, exhaust styling (instead of the log manifold)
* Throttle by wire-addresses the heavy throttle spring and enables cruise control (huge!!!)
* Full set of rider aids/traction control/throttle modes
* Up-to-date lighting and instrumentation
* I like the machined ribs and details on the block. Looks more like a bike engine, less agricultural
* 6-Speeds
* Most importantly-simply that the beloved big beast is back!

The not-so-good?
* 15 years of engineering/development since the old one and no more torque and only a modest increase in HP, with that extra displacement
* Everything behind the seat and above the wheel... Not a fan of the bobbed fender look or the tacky mud-guard.
* The beauty of the old model was the versatility. Bare bike was simply a bad-ass cruiser. You could hang out with the HD crowd and smack them down when needed; it actually looked the part of a cruiser. Slap a set of bags, windshield, highway pegs and throttle lock and you've got an OK touring bike. New one doesn't look as flexible.
* Looks the part of a "street fighter"-but not a match to others in that category (B-King, H2 SX, Super Duke, Diaval (though that might be even) or V-Max.
* 4.8 gallon tank (perhaps the biggest minus IMO)

To me, it's the start of what I hope turns into a whole platform of bikes. Really want to see a fully dressed touring bike with that engine at it's core.
Ok. I'm not drooling over this new R3 as much as I was before. You pointed out what this bike is and what I love about my '05. I realize that I can't ride anything else. Original Rocket III is the best in my book. Just need to tweak it a little.

Talked to local dealer here in Vancouver BC. They are expecting to get the new GT and Rs in showroom in January 2020. Expected price around $25k CDN.

I really want one but paying top dollar for the first edition is not in my plans. It's a whole lot of money so maybe the 2021 will have a few kinks worked out. I'm thinking the aftermarket goodies should be in abundance by then. Since I live in California it appears I will be paying out more in taxes on the Rocket than all other 49 states. Idaho is looking better and better every day.

Dunno how they managed that. Triumph don't release the prices of the R and GT until November 19th. :unsure:
..i'm thinking theyr'e aiming high....our local dealer hasn't been advised of any price yet...but he was thinking more like 37-38??..who knows?

I really want one but paying top dollar for the first edition is not in my plans. It's a whole lot of money so maybe the 2021 will have a few kinks worked out. I'm thinking the aftermarket goodies should be in abundance by then. Since I live in California it appears I will be paying out more in taxes on the Rocket than all other 49 states. Idaho is looking better and better every day.

Idaho is pretty good. Been here for over 19 years. Remember one thing that is very important. When you move to Idaho you move here to be an Idahoan and live like an Idahoan. Don't bring the crap you left behind and don't expect Idaho to change for you. :thumbsup:

Idaho is pretty good. Been here for over 19 years. Remember one thing that is very important. When you move to Idaho you move here to be an Idahoan and live like an Idahoan. Don't bring the crap you left behind and don't expect Idaho to change for you. :thumbsup:
Oh I'm coming and bringing all of my liberal friends and Idaho will change for me! Kidding. Very strange statement about 'bringing my crap' but okay. I think the GT will suit me although the price is the sticking point.

Back