Rocket questions

omahabiker

Standard Bore
I've been lusting after a Rocket III for years. Since I know you are the experts, I thought I'd come to you for some advice. Little background on me. I'm 35 and live in Omaha, NE. Currently own a 2006 Victory Jackpot which I've loaded up with goodies including the S&S 106 Stroker Kit. Prior to that, I've owned a couple VTX 1800s, Honda Sabre, Yamaha FZ1, Suzuki Hayabusa, Suzuki Bandit, along with others.

Okay, so here are my questions:

1) Corbin Beetle Bags - can you fit a half-helmet in them? I realized you can't fit a fullface in them, but what about a half shell? If not, I guess I'd go with Leatherlykes.

2) Pipes - I've had everything from Vance & Hines and Cobra to D&D and Supertrapp. I like a deep mean growl, and there's no such thing as "too loud". So, that being said, which would you recommend?

3) Windshield - Who makes the best quick-detach windshield for the Rocket? I'm debating between a quick-detach windshield or the big Corbin Fairing.

4) Sissy Bar - which sissy bar would you recommend? One that can be removed fairly easily/quickly would be nice. And, one that would be compatible with Beetle Bags in case I go that route.

5) Bars/Risers - Has anyone gotten different bars or extended risers? Or, is the stock riding position comfortable?

6) Seat - I see Corbin offers it's usual lineup for the Rocket. Any other aftermarket seats I should consider?

7) Performance - besides pipes and power commander, what is another easy, somewhat affordable way to bump up the power. K&N Breather? Anything else?

8) What other suggestions would you give me if I were looking into buying a Rocket?

Thanks in advance for all of your help.

Chip

Hey Chip welcome. Alot of your questions can be answered in this forum http://www.r3owners.net/forumdisplay.php?f=17 I have tried to stockpile as many links to products as I could find.

Questions I can answer:

2) If you want loud you want Jardines

4) Triumph's short and tall bars are about the only selection. No quick release.

5) Rivco has risers. If you get a Rocket III Classic or Touring you get pulled back bars otherwise you can buy them from Triumph.

6) There is a list in the link I provided above in the accessories thread

7) Tuneboy allows full access to fuel and ignition maps, rev limiter, speedo constants, secondary throttle plate operation and a host of other things.

8) Shop around there are some great deals to be had, especially if you buy used. Rockets like most other metric bikes don't have HD like resale values

Have you done a test ride yet?

Whew!

Omaha........ Where do any of us start. You've got lots of questions and that's a good thing. It reminds me of getting my R3 and being almost overwhelmed with excitement and figuring out what I wanted to change on the stock set up.

I'll answer the ones I'm familiar with and let the smart guys do the technical.

1. I just tried to put my HJC half helmet in my Corbins and it fits. I took off the clear face shield and put it in separately. There's even a little room toward the back of the bag if you have smaller stuff...... put it in first. That still leaves you another bag for goodies and you can alway add extra soft luggage if needed.

2. I'm in the minority with Staintunes. I will say that taking out the baffles took it to 98 db but they're not that real deep throated sound. Mad Dogs sure sound good on Tomo's ride.

3. Not even sure who, if any, make a quick detach front screen. I got to see Tomo's new fairing and to me.......it looks great!

4. I have the Triumph OEM tall sissy bars with the classic back pad. It's tall enough to place the pad in the upper part of your rider's back. Also the pad is concave so it feels more like wrapping around the back and my rider says she feels more stability in corners. You simply take off the original side pieces that come stock and the sissy bars have their own that fit in the same slots. They work fine with Corbin Beetle Bags.

5. I went with Rivco and though the original bars felt all right...... the extra height and tilt back just made the ride better; especially on long jaunts.

6. I do just fine with the Triumph OEM gel seat.

7. I went with Tuneboy and though it's a bit pricey.....the results have been great. I can hardly hang on when I twist the throttle real fast.

8. Boy.... this is where everything becomes real personal. Here's just a few of the things I did that seems to make the ride more comfortable.

Lower wind deflectors
Footboards w/ heal-toe shifter
Progressive 440 shocks
Utopia Back Rest

Whatever you decide........just have fun and make it your own.

Last edited:
Looks like you have played with the rest now your looking at the best. Welcome Omahabiker as my family came from that state. Um you have a better grasp of what works for you and it seems all I have to offer is ride comfort in the form of rear suspension. If you are of the the large side then the stock seems to work for the 235lbs and up crowd. However my skinny 200 butt kept getting airborn over bumps so lots of guys have gone with the Progressive 440's. I'm tall and went with the 13" vs 12.5 stock. Just put the risers on and really like the new position. I got the leatherlykes and will get the trunk it seems also. I think you like the convertible aspect of things and so do I but but the windshield from France http://translate.google.com/transla...ecdem&hl=en&lr=&rls=GGGL,GGGL:2006-29,GGGL:en is the only quick release and doesn't offer real good protection so I've heard. 4 bolts and the stock one comes off and I leave my hardware on. Anyway you know the saying, opinions .....everybody has one. Welcome

The Jardines have done quite well for me. Just remember that this is a 3-cylinder, not a V-twin - it may take a bit to get used to a different sounding idle and blip although I promise you that it will not take long to get used to the "WAAAAAAAAAAAAAAA!" at WOT.

Guys making the most HP are running Jardines with triple filters strapped directly on the throttle bodies, which will begin awakening the sleeping giant.

Wow, this is some great information. Thanks so much for the responses. What a great forum! Unfortunately, I have not test ridden a Rocket yet. Hope to do so this weekend. I tried to test ride one last year in Sturgis, but you had to wear a fullface helmet, which I didn't have with me up there. Anyway, I've talked to people who have ridden them, and I've read just about every article and review every written on them, so I have a feeling once I test ride one, it will be over.

Sounds like the Jardines, and the Progressive 440s would be a no-brainer. Thanks again for the info. I'll let you know what happens after I test ride one. And, I'm sure I'll have more questions, so thanks for bearing with me.

Chip

I've been lusting after a Rocket III for years. Since I know you are the experts, I thought I'd come to you for some advice. Little background on me. I'm 35 and live in Omaha, NE. Currently own a 2006 Victory Jackpot which I've loaded up with goodies including the S&S 106 Stroker Kit. Prior to that, I've owned a couple VTX 1800s, Honda Sabre, Yamaha FZ1, Suzuki Hayabusa, Suzuki Bandit, along with others.

Okay, so here are my questions:

1) Corbin Beetle Bags - can you fit a half-helmet in them? I realized you can't fit a fullface in them, but what about a half shell? If not, I guess I'd go with Leatherlykes.

-----If it was me, I'd get the Triumph leather 3 buckle bags and mounts. Forget the liners. Hefty bags do the job. The liners are overpriced. Personally, I'd avoid Leathernecks. My BIL has 'em on his VTX 1800 and he too has an R3 and went with the Triumph leather bags. I'll leave that to his experience.

2) Pipes - I've had everything from Vance & Hines and Cobra to D&D and Supertrapp. I like a deep mean growl, and there's no such thing as "too loud". So, that being said, which would you recommend?

-----I'm not into loud pipes myself. HD riders say 'loud pipes save lives'. That's BS. Loud pipes piss off the people who can and will legislate your bike out of existence. Remember, 99% of communities have noise ordinances now days and can and will enforce them if pressed. I don't need that hassle. Besides, the R3 has a wonderful growl in the engine when you really tap it out. Been there, done that. Want loud, get a potato bike. Want stealth, get an R3. You've been the 'busa route I see. That riding position is fine when you are 20 something, but it don't get it when you get brittle....like me

3) Windshield - Who makes the best quick-detach windshield for the Rocket? I'm debating between a quick-detach windshield or the big Corbin Fairing.

-----The windshield and the fairing are light years apart. To my knowledge no one makes a QD windscreen for the R3 and to some poster's disdain, I commented that the Corbin Fleetloner looked like 'Nixon's nose' from the front. It does. It begs to have a Mack Bulldog mounted on the front. Bart has Windvest on his R3. I have the big summer screen and lowers. Different strokes for different folks.

4) Sissy Bar - which sissy bar would you recommend? One that can be removed fairly easily/quickly would be nice. And, one that would be compatible with Beetle Bags in case I go that route.

-----Triumph's sissy bars, high, medium or low remove with 4 hex cap screws (2 on each side) which attach it to the luggage rack (at least on the Classic).

5) Bars/Risers - Has anyone gotten different bars or extended risers? Or, is the stock riding position comfortable?

-----Rivco has risers and bars. The Classic bars are pull back. More comfortable especially when teamed with the Classic touring seat.

6) Seat - I see Corbin offers it's usual lineup for the Rocket. Any other aftermarket seats I should consider?

-----Interestingly, I have some buds who have had a less than desirable relationship with Corbin and I personally prefer the Classic Touring seat over the Corbin over priced bling. Besides, you can trundle down to the Triumph shop and get one now versus ordering a Corbin and waiting. If you buy a new R3, have the dealer swap the seat the bike comes with for the Classic Touring seat, that is, if you don't purchase a Classic.

7) Performance - besides pipes and power commander, what is another easy, somewhat affordable way to bump up the power. K&N Breather? Anything else?

-----I can't go there. My need for speed and power is quite compensated by the stock bike. I raced pro-stock years ago and I learned if 'you want it buy it that way, The more you fiddle the less reliable it is and the more it costs you in the long run'.

8) What other suggestions would you give me if I were looking into buying a Rocket?

-----Go get it, it's only money. That's what payment books are for.

Thanks in advance for all of your help.

Chip

I believe that about covers it, I think.......:D

Bottom feeders

"Loud pipes saves lives" yeah, maybe a few pedestrians and bottom feeders. At the same time legislating away freedom of choice is not the answer. But that's not why we're here...Welcome to the forum Omaha. Been there twice (late 60s, mid 80s) in my experience. Joe Tess's Carp House (late 60s-mid 80s)...still serving up bottom feeders??
Had a hunting bud down in Plattsmouth that prep'ed carp for Tess's.

R:

I read a study in the AMA archives a while ago concerning loud pipes. Seems as though by the time a cager hears the loud pipes is when the bike has already gotten abreast of the cage or past it, way to late for any evasive maneuvers other that a broadside.

My T100/Sidecar has straight pipes, peashooters with no baffles. Of course it's re-jetted and the pipes are of a tuned length so there is no power loss associated with no back pressure. That sucker is loud to the point of earplugs being mandatory equipment. It's a purpose built outfit, not a daily driver. For a daily driver, I prefer quiet.

Bart has the TORS on his R3 with the Triumph bypass and in my opinion it still sounds like a '68 Buick Electra 225 with a hole in the muffler.

By the way Omahabiker, Welcome to R3Owners.net. Lots of diverse opinions here.

Of course opinions are like A'Holes, 'everybody has one'.:D

Joe Tess.. What a place!! It was there 10 years ago (or so) even after they rebuilt the South O expressway that went right through its back lot. Many newbs are surprised as to what they get when they order a fish sandwich there :D.

Just up the road is Johnny's Cafe, possibly one of the best steak houses on the planet and a five star to boot. Both are South Omaha icons. Just take the SOB (South Omaha Bridge Road) from CB and you're there!!!:roll:

Can you tell that's my old stomping grounds. Hey... are the Husker Fans about ready to behead Callahan??? That's a tough crowd

Back