Anybody ever know of anyone that had an oil related problem? Not neglect but direct fault of the "correct" engine oil? I've been riding 35 years and don't know of anyone that has. We all seem to change way to early by the oil samples I've had tested and seen tested.
Nope, never. But still the oil I use is the best oil! :roll:

So it makes sense to dump $$$$$ oil early or $ oil early? I use Castrol Power 1 5w-40 in my Rocket and my wife's Spyder and like it well enough. I use Rotella in my V-Strom and Cross Country.

Anybody ever read through the motorcycle section, on the "Bob is the oil guy" forum. Some interesting used oil analysis reports on there. It was because of info from there that I switched from rotella t6 to t4 (synthetic base3 to the non syn). Shows to be more shear stable. I know the t6 would drain out like water from a warm engine. I'm a fair weather rider, and don't put on more than 5000km per short Canadian season, so long change intervals aren't important to me. Anyway long story short, there's some good reading at bitog forum, about both oil and filters.
I think 12 pages is a bit high Journeyman, I'm gonna go with 7. If you were closer I'd bet you a cup of Tim Hortons coffee "eh"!
Dean

Exactly my experience with T6, it's very thin. I only use it for first fill after a rebuild, like I just did this year, because it's cheap.

Anybody ever know of anyone that had an oil related problem? Not neglect but direct fault of the "correct" engine oil? I've been riding 35 years and don't know of anyone that has. We all seem to change way to early by the oil samples I've had tested and seen tested.

Every wonder why some guys burn clutch friction plates but others hold 190-250 lb-ft on stock plates with zero issue, have oil seal problems (valve seals, etc), and associated internal engine wear problems yet others don't have issues at all? I'm not saying it's solely because of oil, but it is absolutely a contributing factor.

I do not see many talking about the Castrol that Triumph specs, why do many use other oils? Is the Castrol oil not very good?

One of castrol's full synthetics actually tested right up there with the very best oil on the market on Bob is the Oil guy. I cannot recall which one, but I do recall it is NOT the one Triumph uses.

Last edited:
Every wonder why some guys burn clutch friction plates but others hold 190-250 lb-ft on stock plates with zero issue, have oil seal problems (valve seals, etc), and associated internal engine wear problems yet others don't have issues at all? I'm not saying it's solely because of oil, but it is absolutely a contributing factor.

People on the Vic sites have clutch slippage with Amsoil, others don't.

My Uncle had a 1968 Ford Galaxy 500 with a 390ci that ran 300,000 miles+ using Quaker State in the 1970's others cuss that oil.

So many variables. Some "Ride it like you stole it" and others like me, ride them like I paid a lot of money for them. :D

I Agree 100% oil is a contributing factor!!

My observations running a variety of oils are as follows:

Rotella T6 5W-40 - Works great, feels great, needs to be changed by 4000 miles. Shift feel starts to degrade slightly at 3000.
Mobile 1 4T 10W-40- Same thing as Rotella, but shift feel doesn't start to degrade until 4000, so change at 5000.
Amsoil Marine/Diesel 15W-40 - As recommended by Carpenter, feels by FAR the best when new. By 4000 it starts to feel slightly worse, change by 5000.
Castrol as used at the dealer (whatever that mystery oil is)- Seemed to work fine, wasn't able to ride long enough to find the break down point......

A bit over 5000 miles on my '06 since I bought it 18 months ago and first changed oil with Mobil 1 Racing 4T. Maybe changing again now to the same oil is a waste of money but I will because it gives me piece of mind. Anyway, thanks for your analysis Claviger, gives me additional piece of mind. :):thumbsup:

PS Also nice to get confirmation that the 180 F temp max I see on my gauge is the norm, thanks again.

I use the Castrol 4T synthetic 10/50 Triumph says to use. I used the Mobil 1 15/50 they used before switching to Castrol. Bikes run great no transmission problems. 46,000 miles still have original clutch and I go to drag strip 4 times per year for the last 3 years.

Back