Rocket 3GT or new Goldwing bagger

Agrad

Standard Bore
I recently sold my bike, now looking for a replacement. I want one do-it-all shaft drive bike with plenty of torque and very low centre of gravity and low seat. Use is pleasure, touring, commuting, weekdays and weekends.

I do mainly solo local riding within 75miles but want to start doing some longer distances solo touring etc. I want comfort, luggage space, good headlights, easy maintenance, good brakes, shaft drive, nice gearbox, reliability (cant stand stuff going wrong/breaking down and visiting dealers. Only time I want to see dealers is for servicing).

I’ve reached the point where I’ve basically got it down to either a Rocket 3 GT with rack and pannier bags or the new Honda Goldwing base/bagger model (not the big lardy arse one). The Rocket looks proper! The Goldwing looks practical. Things putting me off a Rocket are the missing rear mudguard, did Triumph not plan on anyone riding in British climate and getting crud all up their jacket back? Also the tank is quite small and fuel economy is not very good. I’ve read of a few issues/problems here on this forum too.

The Goldwing beats the Rocket in many practical ways, even comes with built in satnav, carplay and panniers. All good for touring. But the Rocket looks sh*t hot has character and grin factor. Goldwing panniers are fixed on so filtering could be a struggle. Trying to get test rides is difficult.

I thought you guys are the people to ask. Anyone here faced similar purchase decision? Anyone use their Rocket for touring or use it everyday in all weathers? Are they reliable? Easy maintenance? Do you guys only go out when its sunny/dry and have you done anything about the missing rear mudguard? Am I barking up the wrong tree here and the Rocket is for pure pleasure only?

I ride my GT on long trips with ease. Long trips being 5,000 - 8,000km with my two saddle bags and a 20L Givi bag. No issues riding 300 - 600km per day.

Not saying it's for you but it can be done. To each his own.

I ride in all weathers (except snow of course) but rain, shine, and all sorts in between.

Last edited:
If you ride a Rocket first before the Goldwing the torque will grab you and not let you go. If you do nothing but tour then the Goldwing is for you (or anyone for that matter) and it certainly is a great bike. If you have a touch of hooligan in you once in a while the Rocket may be right up your alley. Like most I have made more than a few long distant rides on my 2014 Rocket and my 2020 Rocket and it was and is a blast on both. To each his own but for me the Rocket rules. I'm certain the Goldwing is more comfortable and has more gadgets but it kind of is a one trick pony (but a fantastic one trick pony at that). You can tour on the Rocket and if you feel like screwing with the sport bike crowd it's up for the challenge. Either bike I'm sure will be a good time. I do like the new Indian lineup though, just sayin'. Happy hunting. :thumbsup:

If you ride a Rocket first before the Goldwing the torque will grab you and not let you go. If you do nothing but tour then the Goldwing is for you (or anyone for that matter) and it certainly is a great bike. If you have a touch of hooligan in you once in a while the Rocket may be right up your alley. Like most I have made more than a few long distant rides on my 2014 Rocket and my 2020 Rocket and it was and is a blast on both. To each his own but for me the Rocket rules. I'm certain the Goldwing is more comfortable and has more gadgets but it kind of is a one trick pony (but a fantastic one trick pony at that). You can tour on the Rocket and if you feel like screwing with the sport bike crowd it's up for the challenge. Either bike I'm sure will be a good time. I do like the new Indian lineup though, just sayin'. Happy hunting. :thumbsup:
Funny thing about those Goldwings. Steve/Bull had a buddy on a Goldwing that rode with us out in Colorado, nobody, including Steve, who's about as good as I've ever seen, could keep up with him. I had my K1200GT, it'll keep up with most guys on sport bikes. I passed a couple Rockets on the outside and inside of curves, but I couldn't even keep that yellow Goldwing in sight, no exaggeration.

Screenshot_20210904-151846_Instagram.jpg

Only a screenshot of an Instagram video, guy drifted around a u turn

Last edited:
BTW: Did you look at the BMW K1600 B ?
I tried that one, it is in a very different category. Goldwing and rocket are far superior, faster, better acceleration, more responsive, sturdier, better construction and design.
If you need the bags, the fairing, the navi and all those things, the goldwing it's a great bike, very responsive and even more comfortable for longer rides, I really enjoyed riding one. I'll get one probably in my 70's. At 50, where I am now, the rocket really put that smile in my face everytime

Last edited:
I ride my GT on long trips with ease. Long trips being 5,000 - 8,000km with my two saddle bags and a 20L Givi bag. No issues riding 300 - 600km per day.

Not saying it's for you but it can be done. To each his own.

I ride in all weathers (except snow of course) but rain, shine, and all sorts in between.
Thanks for this. I assume the small fuel tank has not been a problem for you? How has your bike been for reliability? Btw, have you had any issues with the bag zippers or water leaking into the bags?

Back